Bullnose Forums

Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray

Good question! I'll ask.

I don't know about Colorado, but in Canyonlands National Park (yes, I realize that National Parks are probably the most restrictive places there are) it said something like ATVs, UTVs and OHVs are not allowed even if licensed for street use. I'm not sure where to find details like that about places in Colorado. Or maybe it's better to plead ignorance and ask for forgiveness (hey, it'd be his ticket anyway!).

I don't know about Colorado, but in Canyonlands National Park (yes, I realize that National Parks are probably the most restrictive places there are) it said something like ATVs, UTVs and OHVs are not allowed even if licensed for street use. I'm not sure where to find details like that about places in Colorado. Or maybe it's better to plead ignorance and ask for forgiveness (hey, it'd be his ticket anyway!).

https://www.colorado.com/articles/7-popular-colorado-atv-jeep-trails

Chris - Thanks. But we've pretty well set our sights on the Ouray area, and with one exception those 7 trails are elsewhere. And the one exception, Lizard Head Pass, appears to be a horse and hiking trail. At least that's what I found when I clicked on the link.

However, there is good info in the various links that are on that page or pages you get to by following various links. For instance, Stay The Trail has links to lots of maps, including the Motorized Vehicle Use Map that was mentioned in the videos. And Trail Tips & Etiquette and OHV's On Streets & Roads. So it was a useful link anyway. :nabble_smiley_good:

Chris - Thanks. But we've pretty well set our sights on the Ouray area, and with one exception those 7 trails are elsewhere. And the one exception, Lizard Head Pass, appears to be a horse and hiking trail. At least that's what I found when I clicked on the link.

However, there is good info in the various links that are on that page or pages you get to by following various links. For instance, Stay The Trail has links to lots of maps, including the Motorized Vehicle Use Map that was mentioned in the videos. And Trail Tips & Etiquette and OHV's On Streets & Roads. So it was a useful link anyway. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cool, I'm glad it helped. :)

I've been to Red Feather Lakes when I was at CSU in Ft. Collins 1990-95 FWIW.

Talked with my brother yesterday after sending him the information regarding where OHV's can't go. He hadn't been aware of that and is now questioning whether it is worth it to take his RZR.

I told him taking it would be fine, but that we might want to shift our hotel to Silverton if he does take the RZR as then we could spend at least two days checking out the stuff east of 550 quite easily. In fact, depending on where we stay we might be able to leave the trailer there and drive the RZR up from Silverton as some of the streets are open to OHV's.

Anyway, he's thinking about it so we don't have that bit nailed down yet.

Talked with my brother yesterday after sending him the information regarding where OHV's can't go. He hadn't been aware of that and is now questioning whether it is worth it to take his RZR.

I told him taking it would be fine, but that we might want to shift our hotel to Silverton if he does take the RZR as then we could spend at least two days checking out the stuff east of 550 quite easily. In fact, depending on where we stay we might be able to leave the trailer there and drive the RZR up from Silverton as some of the streets are open to OHV's.

Anyway, he's thinking about it so we don't have that bit nailed down yet.

I was shocked when I saw people driving OHV’s on the roads in Lake Havasu City.

I was shocked when I saw people driving OHV’s on the roads in Lake Havasu City.

I don't know about AZ, but it appears in CO that it is up to the city/town to decide. Telluride has said no OHV's. Silverton has gone part way and said it is ok to drive them on a few streets. And Lake City says it is ok to drive them anywhere.

And that decision is probably at least partially determined by the visitors they want to have. Telluride seems to be wanting to be an upscale tourist town, especially in ski season. Silverton is more a wild mining town and has lots of 'wheelers that come for several days and spend money. Lake City is at the end of the Alpine Loop and is thrilled just to have anyone come.

I don't know about AZ, but it appears in CO that it is up to the city/town to decide. Telluride has said no OHV's. Silverton has gone part way and said it is ok to drive them on a few streets. And Lake City says it is ok to drive them anywhere.

And that decision is probably at least partially determined by the visitors they want to have. Telluride seems to be wanting to be an upscale tourist town, especially in ski season. Silverton is more a wild mining town and has lots of 'wheelers that come for several days and spend money. Lake City is at the end of the Alpine Loop and is thrilled just to have anyone come.

... and I think you can guess how Moab handles this:nabble_smiley_whistling: