Bullnose Forums

Big Blue To Tackle The GOAT

Assuming I can get the reservations set up, Janey and I are taking Big Blue on a 620+ mile adventure in about a week. We are going to take the Greencountry Overland Adventure Trail. It is a ~500 mile route through the back woods of Oklahoma that are sure to test the limits of Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, I'll embed the map below, but Big Blue is going to think this is a dawdle. In fact, we took ~20 miles of it in Blue the other day just to go decorate graves near Grove and then to get some strawberries from a local farm.

On top of that, we were married in a church building on the GOAT, albeit many decades before the GOAT was dreamed up. In fact, Janey's family lived on a section of it, and I've driven many of the roads in my '69 Super Bee, '72 F250, or on my Honda XL350.

But, we've decided that Big Blue is now ready for the trip, and I'll be making reservations tomorrow. Turns out someone is turning 74 in a week or so and he requested that for his birthday he get to drive that route. So, here we go!
The route is below, but you can Google Greencountry Overland Adventure Tour and find more info.

That looks like a fun little adventure before you head out to Colorado. Good idea too, as it will test Big Blue out before you make the bigger journey. You gonna do the whole thing and if so, over how many days? Janey like to camp out? No way I could get Sharon to sleep in a tent. BTW, in case I forget, Happy Birthday! You get your console?

That looks like a fun little adventure before you head out to Colorado. Good idea too, as it will test Big Blue out before you make the bigger journey. You gonna do the whole thing and if so, over how many days? Janey like to camp out? No way I could get Sharon to sleep in a tent. BTW, in case I forget, Happy Birthday! You get your console?

Thanks! The birthday is on the 8th.

We plan to do the whole ~500 miles of the GOAT plus about 130 miles to get to and from it on the 7th - 9th, and will go from Skiatook to Locust Grove via 412 to start the GOAT. I spent my summers as a kid in a cabin on the Grand River just out of Locust, so part of that area is familiar.

We'll go south on the GOAT past Tahlequah, where we went to college, and around the bottom of Tenkiller if there is time. I think we can make it to the spot on the map near Scraper where the trail goes west. That's just across the Illinois from Eagle Bluff and we can cross there and go back to Tahlequah. Having gone to school at NSU we've spent a lot of time along that part of the river, so that will be filled with a lot of memories.

On the 8th we'll cross the river again and head north, hopefully making it around the horn to Bernice and then drop down to Shangri La, where we spent our honeymoon in 1969. But if not we will cut through Grove out to Monkey Island.

Then on the 9th we'll continue on back to Locust and then head home.

No camp sites will be involved!

Cool stuff Gary. I'll be following along with envy.

Well, as of a few minutes ago we are GO FOR LAUNCH! We have reservations for Monday night, June 7th, in Tahlequah and Tuesday night at Shangri La resort west of Grove.

The lady in Tahlequah asked "What brings you to town?" I laughed and then described the Greencountry Overlanding Adventure Trail. She expected something to do with the college. But I explained that I graduated there in '69, and I got the feeling that was before she was born. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Similar conversation with the lady at Shangri La: "Have you stayed with us before?" Yes, but in your system you'll just find the one on Aug 1st, 2019. "What was the other?" Fifty years to the day prior to that. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Anyway, I have a few things I want to do to the truck 'twixt now and then, so may get started this afternoon with padding the storage compartment.

Nice, Im hopeful after I finish my truck of going up to RWP just once to see all the fun first hand, always fun watching other people tear up their trucks doing insane things than tearing up yours.

For me that would be a 679 mi round trip for me from where I am currently at, if I am leaving from the property I have it would be 684 mi round trip for me.

.... But I explained that I graduated there in '69, and I got the feeling that was before she was born. :nabble_smiley_cry:....

That's nothing. I started my current job in 1987. About half the engineers I work with weren't born THEN!

I don't know how inflammatory it is to say "Long before you were born", but I'd like to.

They put tags on roads I drove in my '58 Impala, my '69 Bee, then my '72 F250, and rode on my XL350 and call them an "adventure trail". Sonny, I was married on that road. My inlaws are buried there. I've pulled a '50 Chevy 3-window pickup, a '60 Chevy pickup, and a '65 Malibu 396 out of fields beside that road with the same truck I'm going to do the whole thing in.

In fact, last weekend we traversed probably 20 miles of it in my 2015 F150 to decorate graves and to buy strawberries. Sure was comfortable. Switched it into 4Auto a couple of times just 'cause, but otherwise it was easy.

Anyway, they say there are harder parts, so we shall see. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I don't know how inflammatory it is to say "Long before you were born", but I'd like to.

They put tags on roads I drove in my '58 Impala, my '69 Bee, then my '72 F250, and rode on my XL350 and call them an "adventure trail". Sonny, I was married on that road. My inlaws are buried there. I've pulled a '50 Chevy 3-window pickup, a '60 Chevy pickup, and a '65 Malibu 396 out of fields beside that road with the same truck I'm going to do the whole thing in.

In fact, last weekend we traversed probably 20 miles of it in my 2015 F150 to decorate graves and to buy strawberries. Sure was comfortable. Switched it into 4Auto a couple of times just 'cause, but otherwise it was easy.

Anyway, they say there are harder parts, so we shall see. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Subscribed and looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some photos.

Great way to spend a birthday wish!

Subscribed and looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some photos.

Great way to spend a birthday wish!

Yes, it is a good way to spend a birthday! Been wanting to do it for some time, and getting the A/C working was a key.

So now I'm trying to remember what we were taught about Gaia. Got it working on both the iPhone and this tablet, so am playing with it on the tablet. I guess I just press Record when we get on the trail.