Bullnose Forums

1986 F250 Can't find a rear tank sending unit

Good afternoon,

I recently got a 1986 F250 4wd, manual, 7.5L. The rear fuel pump/sending unit wasn't working properly when I got it, but it read 1/4 tank. I used the front tank and when i switched it back to the rear tank it wasn't registering on the fuel gauge at all. I pulled the bed off (I am restoring the frame) and plugged the rear pump/sending unit into the front tank's and it registered full when I lifted the float arm up and I can hear the pump turn on. I assume the issue is the tank selector, which I am replacing, but I am also going to replace both pumps and sending units while I have the bed off.

My problem/question is, I can't find a sending unit for the rear 19 gallon tank like the one that was in there, any ideas where I can get one? If not, will i need to replace the tank with one i can find a sending unit for, or are there other ways to go?

I've attached a couple of pictures of the pump/sending unit, if that helps. Thanks.

20210527_130908.jpg.b71e6a2f88ac1f74a7c77c55be946aaa.jpg

20210527_130918.jpg.8dccc3b521091dca828f3586e0002939.jpg

-Jeremy

Jeremy - Welcome to the Bullnose Forum! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

However, you probably missed the email you were sent that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and post an intro there. The reason being that we hold everyone to those guidelines so wanted to ensure you have a chance to read them. So, can you assure me that you have?

Jeremy - Welcome to the Bullnose Forum! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

However, you probably missed the email you were sent that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and post an intro there. The reason being that we hold everyone to those guidelines so wanted to ensure you have a chance to read them. So, can you assure me that you have?

Sorry for breaking the rules right out of the gate, Gary. I've read it, posted in the new member section and added a signature. Let me know if I missed anything, thanks.

Ok, you have posted in the NMSH folder, so you've at least had a chance to see the guidelines. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the fuel sender, go to Documentation/Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part Numbers/Fuel Senders & Pumps in the menu. There you'll be able to determine the part number for the right sender for your truck.

But, you may have a hard time finding the sender by part number. If so, go to the Rock Auto site, which has one of the best catalogs around, and you can get the sending unit part number from several vendors. You don't have to buy from RA, but at least their catalog is a big help.

Sorry for breaking the rules right out of the gate, Gary. I've read it, posted in the new member section and added a signature. Let me know if I missed anything, thanks.

You just jumped the gun. Our "joining process" is broken at the moment and you actually get access before you are supposed to. So many people miss the email and don't see the instructions to read the guidelines, etc.

But all is well. :nabble_anim_handshake:

You just jumped the gun. Our "joining process" is broken at the moment and you actually get access before you are supposed to. So many people miss the email and don't see the instructions to read the guidelines, etc.

But all is well. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Thanks for the help.

I was not able to find one for my truck sometime back.

I have seen P/N E5TZ-9H307-B at Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard. Their item number 30381A. I do not see one today.

I should have jumped on it but wasn’t entirely sure it was correct, and I can’t remember why. Must have been another might work, my notes do not say where I got that 9H307 number.

I have some notes that say, Spectra FG33B might be right for the rear tank. Also, Liland Global SUFD46 might be right. These are big mights!

A search turned up nothing. I hope you find one. Let us know how you do.

I was not able to find one for my truck sometime back.

I have seen P/N E5TZ-9H307-B at Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard. Their item number 30381A. I do not see one today.

I should have jumped on it but wasn’t entirely sure it was correct, and I can’t remember why. Must have been another might work, my notes do not say where I got that 9H307 number.

I have some notes that say, Spectra FG33B might be right for the rear tank. Also, Liland Global SUFD46 might be right. These are big mights!

A search turned up nothing. I hope you find one. Let us know how you do.

Yours looks nice and clean so it if all tested as working, I'd keep using it but look for a spare over time.

Dane - looks like the B is for the 302 EFI although as you said, maybe it will work? The 460 is F (assuming steel tank).

I've had an ebay alert for one of those for a couple years and I don't recall ever getting a hit.

For that alert I do sometimes get notifications of Airtex E2484 so maybe if just the pump goes out, that would be a suitable replacement?

Thanks, it looks like RA has one that could work. I'm thinking of giving it a try. I know the old ones don't look too bad, but the sealing plates on both are heavily rusted, so I'm thinking it is probably best to replace them while I have the bed off.

Make sure it has the four pin connector.