Bullnose Forums

C6 Transmission help!

Hi everyone. To make a long story short. I put a 7.3 idi in place of my 6.9 idi and it has the C6 auto in it and when I did the motor swap it did knocked something out of place and I no longer have park and have to rely on nuetral to start/shut off the truck and my parking brake cable is stretched so I need to get this fixed. Can anyone help me??

I suspect that the adjustment on the linkage down near the transmission needs to be adjusted. You can loosen that, put the shifter on the column into Park, shift the transmission itself into Park, and then tighten the adjustment down.

Ok which direction do I turn the linkage? Clockwise? Counterclockwise? Will it click? Is it possible to over adjust the linkage? I don’t usually mess with transmissions but I can’t afford to take it to the shop.

Ok which direction do I turn the linkage? Clockwise? Counterclockwise? Will it click? Is it possible to over adjust the linkage? I don’t usually mess with transmissions but I can’t afford to take it to the shop.

You need to lay under the truck and have someone move the linkage through its range. But with the parking brake on! If I remember correctly you'll see where the linkage from the column meets that to the transmission between the frame and the transmission. And there's a bolt and nut that join the two linkages, with a slot in one of them. So you loosen the nut such that you can move the two independently, shift the column into Park, shift the transmission into Park, and then tighten the nut.

You need to lay under the truck and have someone move the linkage through its range. But with the parking brake on! If I remember correctly you'll see where the linkage from the column meets that to the transmission between the frame and the transmission. And there's a bolt and nut that join the two linkages, with a slot in one of them. So you loosen the nut such that you can move the two independently, shift the column into Park, shift the transmission into Park, and then tighten the nut.

Ok thanks so much for the info! The last year I’ve been driving without park and kept telling myself I’ll take it and get it taken care of. Well we all know project trucks, the older they are the more parts they need and you have to weigh out what’s more important. Right now I need new brakes and tires and it’s either pay to have park again or be able to brake in traffic and have tires that aren’t almost completely bald.

Ok thanks so much for the info! The last year I’ve been driving without park and kept telling myself I’ll take it and get it taken care of. Well we all know project trucks, the older they are the more parts they need and you have to weigh out what’s more important. Right now I need new brakes and tires and it’s either pay to have park again or be able to brake in traffic and have tires that aren’t almost completely bald.

I bet Gary is spot on. I forgot to loosen mine when changing body mounts and it threw me for a minute when my shifter didn't feel right and no longer lined up with the indicator.

This will hopefully be a quick and free solution to your park woes :nabble_smiley_good: