Bullnose Forums

Key ignition ground

In my F350 the horn only works when the key is in the off position. If I move the key to another position the horn will not work.

The key cylinder is really sloppy.

Any advise on how to start trouble shooting this one?

Do you have speed control? If so, then I had the same problem. IIRC the ground under the horn pad wasn't working and the horn relay was getting its ground from the speed control. But when the key was turned on the speed control module got power and was no longer enough ground to pull in the relay.

Do you have speed control? If so, then I had the same problem. IIRC the ground under the horn pad wasn't working and the horn relay was getting its ground from the speed control. But when the key was turned on the speed control module got power and was no longer enough ground to pull in the relay.

Yes i do have speed control.

Interesting. I will try cleaning the ground up. Where is that relay located?

Yes i do have speed control.

Interesting. I will try cleaning the ground up. Where is that relay located?

See Figure 2. Just to the right of the steering column.

6664592_orig.jpg.9e78de7b2624c22650832731ca11ad27.jpg

Mine was due to powercoating the column but I ran a ground strap from one of the two bolts that holds the steering column to the dash to the metal dash support itself as I was also having issues like this.

Quick test would be a wire and alligator clips.

See Figure 2. Just to the right of the steering column.

Mine was due to powercoating the column but I ran a ground strap from one of the two bolts that holds the steering column to the dash to the metal dash support itself as I was also having issues like this.

Quick test would be a wire and alligator clips.

Thanks for the diagram,

I jumped the ground wire to shiny metal on the key cylinder and horn works in all positions so would seem to be the column is not grounded. Very annoying!

I will try a ground strap as you suggested.

Thanks for the diagram,

I jumped the ground wire to shiny metal on the key cylinder and horn works in all positions so would seem to be the column is not grounded. Very annoying!

I will try a ground strap as you suggested.

In my case the column was grounded but the ground brush under the horn pad wasn't in correctly. So the horn circuit wasn't working properly.

But if you can get it to work with a jumper then that's all you need. :nabble_smiley_good:

In my case the column was grounded but the ground brush under the horn pad wasn't in correctly. So the horn circuit wasn't working properly.

But if you can get it to work with a jumper then that's all you need. :nabble_smiley_good:

All contacts cleaned, connectors cleaned, jumper installed. Nothing.

Hmm.

All contacts cleaned, connectors cleaned, jumper installed. Nothing.

Hmm.

There is a ton of aftermarket wiring for the brake controller and CB radio installed on this truck. Trying to trace wires is a nightmare. I am going to pull all the CB wires out.

How is the steering column supposed to be grounded?

I thought that silver pin was the blinker return, not a ground.

There is a ton of aftermarket wiring for the brake controller and CB radio installed on this truck. Trying to trace wires is a nightmare. I am going to pull all the CB wires out.

How is the steering column supposed to be grounded?

I thought that silver pin was the blinker return, not a ground.

The most direct route I am aware of is through that 2 bolt bracket under the dash, through the bearing to the shaft, to the frame of the steering wheel, and then to the horn button via that wire with a clip that goes into one of the bolt holes.

Do you show ground continuity on the column itself? And the shaft behind the horn button/pad?

The most direct route I am aware of is through that 2 bolt bracket under the dash, through the bearing to the shaft, to the frame of the steering wheel, and then to the horn button via that wire with a clip that goes into one of the bolt holes.

Do you show ground continuity on the column itself? And the shaft behind the horn button/pad?

Thanks Scott, I will dig the meter out and check.