Bullnose Forums

Site Organization Thoughts

Well, the small, dark workspace job is done. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, go check out the menu under Literature & Manuals now. I think everything but the EVTM's is in there, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet as I'm still thinking about that.

But I moved the Engine/Emissions Diagnosis manuals in there as well as the '85 FSM. And, I un-hid all of the many pages of documentation that were previously available only via the Index table or the annual pages that have icons that tie to them.

There is no one thing you can do that will make everybody happy, it simply cannot be done. ;)

Hmm, I don't know after trying it out - that gets pretty nested even when using a computer and mouse :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just looked around a bit. I like being able to go to the years and pick what you want.

I’m on my iPad which sometimes can be... interesting! But, working good so far.

I just looked around a bit. I like being able to go to the years and pick what you want.

I’m on my iPad which sometimes can be... interesting! But, working good so far.

Good point Dane - I just tried it on my phone (Chrome on Android) and it's not bad at all to drill down to the various Engine/Emissions sections

Good point Dane - I just tried it on my phone (Chrome on Android) and it's not bad at all to drill down to the various Engine/Emissions sections

Ok guys, let's let this sit for a bit and take comments.

Chris - You are right, nothing will satisfy everyone. But if we get a number of the regulars saying they like it then I think we have achieved "good enough".

Dane and Scott - Glad it is working on the mobile devices.

Ok guys, let's let this sit for a bit and take comments.

Chris - You are right, nothing will satisfy everyone. But if we get a number of the regulars saying they like it then I think we have achieved "good enough".

Dane and Scott - Glad it is working on the mobile devices.

Well, this is getting out of hand. Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it and when I got up I had to go get the books and think through things. And I've come to two questions I'd like y'all to answer:

FSM By Book? Those of you who have physical copies of the FSM know there are three books: A=Body, Chassis, & Electrical; B=Engine; C=Pre-Delivery Lubrication & Maintenance. I'm planning to break ours up that way as well, but want your input.

The issue is that the three books together are massive. Book A has 24 sections & 138 sub-sections, with each sub-section being a page on the site and in the menu. B has 9 sections and 30 sub-sections. And C has only 1 section but 21 sub-sections. So unless we break it up by book the menu is going to be extremely long, like 33 entries long, and probably unusable.

By Year Or By Subject? We now have everything categorized by year. But if you want to find information on a specific thing from the FSM and you don't know that our one and only, for a while, FSM is in the 1985 section how do you do that?

What if instead we did it first by type of literature and then by year, like this:

Literature & Manuals:

Advertisements

1980 Brochures

1981 Brochures

1986 Brochures

Brochures

1980 Brochures

1981 Brochures

1986 Brochures

Factory Service Manuals

1985 FSM

Etc

Well, this is getting out of hand. Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it and when I got up I had to go get the books and think through things. And I've come to two questions I'd like y'all to answer:

FSM By Book? Those of you who have physical copies of the FSM know there are three books: A=Body, Chassis, & Electrical; B=Engine; C=Pre-Delivery Lubrication & Maintenance. I'm planning to break ours up that way as well, but want your input.

The issue is that the three books together are massive. Book A has 24 sections & 138 sub-sections, with each sub-section being a page on the site and in the menu. B has 9 sections and 30 sub-sections. And C has only 1 section but 21 sub-sections. So unless we break it up by book the menu is going to be extremely long, like 33 entries long, and probably unusable.

By Year Or By Subject? We now have everything categorized by year. But if you want to find information on a specific thing from the FSM and you don't know that our one and only, for a while, FSM is in the 1985 section how do you do that?

What if instead we did it first by type of literature and then by year, like this:

Literature & Manuals:

Advertisements

1980 Brochures

1981 Brochures

1986 Brochures

Brochures

1980 Brochures

1981 Brochures

1986 Brochures

Factory Service Manuals

1985 FSM

Etc

I like both your thoughts. By the book and yearly as you stated.

I like both your thoughts. By the book and yearly as you stated.

Dane - Thanks. I've been waiting to get other input before I responded, but it doesn't look like there will be others.

But, I know that John/Machspeed is going to call me this afternoon about this. So after that, assuming he agrees and others don't have a better idea, I'll get started rearranging the Literature & Manuals section.

And the plan is to make the first cut by topic and the second by year.

Dane - Thanks. I've been waiting to get other input before I responded, but it doesn't look like there will be others.

But, I know that John/Machspeed is going to call me this afternoon about this. So after that, assuming he agrees and others don't have a better idea, I'll get started rearranging the Literature & Manuals section.

And the plan is to make the first cut by topic and the second by year.

Been watching to see other input as well but that approach sounds like a good plan to me.

Been watching to see other input as well but that approach sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks, Scott. But I just had an excellent conversation with John/Machspeed regarding this. And here's the plan:

• Manuals & Literature: He recommended we change from Literature & Manuals to Manuals & Literature.

• Index & Contents: The table is "the thing" and gives a wonderful overview of what is on the site.

So why have the pop-out menus? So, I'm going to "hide" the years and move the Contents & Index to the Manuals & Literature page. That means the only page will be the main, Manuals & Literature, page with the Index & Contents on it and you'll find everything from there.

• Work: This will make it much easier for me. For instance, we already have links to the EVTM's in the Index & Contents table, and this way I don't have anything to do there. Otherwise, if we had everything in the Manuals & Literature section I'd have to have the EVTM's in there as well as the Electrical section.

I hope this works for you, but I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks, John.