Bullnose Forums

Question on dual exhaust muffler orientation

My conclusion is that the distinctive "Mustang" sound has nothing to do with the "H.O" firing order, but comes from the specific cam profile and the use of a crossover pipe. The cam I have is very similar to the Ford Mustang "H.O." cam, except the ICL and LSA is adjusted to get better bottom end and a bit more lift.

Thanks for the reply Lariat! Much appreciated.

Man, there is something about those old 5.0 Mustangs...the sound they make has been turning me on for 35 years, even stock. I heard one at the gas station the other day, and even just the start-up and idle of it was a treat for the senses. The sound of those cars probably did more for the marketing of them then the HP numbers ever did.

Both of my exhaust pipes turn up and over the transmission cross member.

I have two Flowmaster mufflers, run vertical, side by side.

Can you tell me the orientation of the inlets and outlets of the mufflers? Offset in, center out?

I ran a true dual exhaust system (a separate exhaust pipe running from each header) on Lucille since about 2009. In 2014, a friend in the exhaust business convinced me to install a crossover pipe. It was explained to me that an H-pipe helps with low-end torque and produces a deeper, classic muscle car sound. The X-pipe helps more with top end horsepower and produces a raspier, modern exotic car sound. Since I have an old-school, full size truck with a 5.0/302, I thought an H-pipe would be more fitting. So I went ahead and did it, not really expecting much difference.

Boy, was I wrong. The H-pipe made a VERY noticeable difference in my truck! Driving away, I felt the difference immediately. Although throttle response was always excellent with this truck, the H-pipe greatly improved low end power; I actually felt the difference in the throttle. The engine seemed to "breathe" better, as in I could accelerate MUCH easier and faster with less throttle pressure than before. The improvement felt like I fixed a sticking brake, or like I shed 500 pounds off the truck!

An added bonus came after I got home and got out to inspect the H-pipe location with the truck at idle: the exhaust note is now deeper, much STRONGER. It now sounds like...a 5.0 Mustang! This really is one of the best mods I made to Lucille.

Here is a cool video demonstrating the difference in sound between an H-pipe and an X-pipe:

In the YouTube videos is one of Darth's exhaust.

that is a walk around but the last 1/2 roughly is the exhaust. Anyone who doubts the torque a 460 has, look at how much the tailpipe moves just goosing the throttle with no other load.

Most people use 2 1/2". That's what Big Blue has, so I'm pretty sure that would be quite adequate for a 302. And, looking at Magnaflow's mufflers it is either 2 1/2" or 3", so I'd go 2 1/2".

In fact, that's what I'm going to do on Big Blue. The 1990 half-truck (Huck) that I bought came with the full exhaust, but the pipes were cut right behind the X and just ahead of the glass pack mufflers. I'm done with glass packs, which is what is on Big Blue now, so will have someone run from the cut back and incorporate one or two Magnaflows, but otherwise duplicate the factory run.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 5x11 2-in/2-out Magnaflow given the reviews here. Those folks say all the right things - like "It's quieter than I had hopped. Louder than stock but really very quiet in the cab even when towing." Just what I'm looking for. And, by the way, these have an X-pipe incorporated internally, so there might not be a need for an H-pipe.

As for getting it to the muffler shop, you might check to see if they'll come and get it. I'm going to winch Big Blue on my trailer and take him down to the shop that way.

I ran a 2 inm 2 out Magnaflow muffler on my Mark VIII. They ( and TBirds ) have a very strange undercarriage and space is limited. The muffler I used had a X built into it. I loved the combination. That Mark VIII sounded good . . with the Cobra 4 valve engine.

I ran a 2 inm 2 out Magnaflow muffler on my Mark VIII. They ( and TBirds ) have a very strange undercarriage and space is limited. The muffler I used had a X built into it. I loved the combination. That Mark VIII sounded good . . with the Cobra 4 valve engine.

Pete - That sounds like the same muffler I was talking about in the 2nd post. Do you know if it was the 5x8 or the 5x11? And, how quiet was it? Deep?

Both of my exhaust pipes turn up and over the transmission cross member.

I have two Flowmaster mufflers, run vertical, side by side.

Can you tell me the orientation of the inlets and outlets of the mufflers? Offset in, center out?

On the motor side, the exhaust pipe comes into the bottom of each muffler. On the other side, the exhaust pipe comes out of the top of each muffler.

The H-pipe is located just after the transmission, where the exhaust pipes start to run side by side on the passenger's side.

On the motor side, the exhaust pipe comes into the bottom of each muffler. On the other side, the exhaust pipe comes out of the top of each muffler.

The H-pipe is located just after the transmission, where the exhaust pipes start to run side by side on the passenger's side.

Ok, thanks Lariat. Just trying to figure out what mufflers to order, and that helps.