Bullnose Forums

Noise from flexplate while running- Stuck Starter Bendix? [FIXED]

Having some weird noises from my flexplate area when running. At low RPM it's a tapping noise. It becomes an intermittent clatter above 1000rpm or so.

Could this be a starter bendix that's not disengaging and constantly spinning the motor? Haven't pulled the starter yet. Might use this as an excuse to put in a PMGR if it's acting up. Not the first time I've had hiccups with the starter:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Screaming-Starter-Bad-Bendix-td82834.html#a82849

Video:

Seems to be more of a raspy squeak... but it's very noticable, more so than on camera.

The A/C is off. Noise seems to be coming from the bellhousing.

Doesn't sound like a cracked flexplate. Ask me how I know.

Good... I'll troubleshoot it more later. Good thing I have another truck to get around in.

One other note... this didn't start until I drove to pick up lunch... since it didn't go away by the time I left the drive-thru, I drove it home and swapped vehicles before returning to work.

I dont know that sounds like it could be a cracked flexplate. Ive seen them make come and go making noise. Ive also seen them make different noises. Hard to tell to be honest about the only way Ive been able to isolate is to try and lightly load the engine in gear to try and take the flex/slack out.

I dont know that sounds like it could be a cracked flexplate. Ive seen them make come and go making noise. Ive also seen them make different noises. Hard to tell to be honest about the only way Ive been able to isolate is to try and lightly load the engine in gear to try and take the flex/slack out.

When I drove it to lunch/home, the noise would completely cut out under acceleration.

That said, I replaced the flexplate as part of an engine rebuild last year (original plate had chipped up teeth).

When I drove it to lunch/home, the noise would completely cut out under acceleration.

That said, I replaced the flexplate as part of an engine rebuild last year (original plate had chipped up teeth).

Good luck figuring it out. I have a tapping that sounds like valvetrain, but it has to be speedo cable. Speed dependent and stops when the truck isn't moving. I'll give yours a couple more listens to see if I can help more. HAve you tried any kind of probe to see if you can isolate it anymore? Derek on Vice Grip Garage used a bunch of 3/8" extensions put together to reach way down in the engine bay. I never thought of something like that.

Good luck figuring it out. I have a tapping that sounds like valvetrain, but it has to be speedo cable. Speed dependent and stops when the truck isn't moving. I'll give yours a couple more listens to see if I can help more. HAve you tried any kind of probe to see if you can isolate it anymore? Derek on Vice Grip Garage used a bunch of 3/8" extensions put together to reach way down in the engine bay. I never thought of something like that.

I just listened around and that led me to the bellhousing, passenger side (where the starter is).

One idea I had was to run it and measure voltage (AC and DC) between the starter side of the relay and ground... if it's backdriving, I should see something being generated? Or not because it has a field coil?