Bullnose Forums

Inner Window Sweeps

Yes. Do NOT use staples. DAMHIK. (Actually, I broke the door panel.)

I used pop rivets with washers backing them up to spread the load on the plastic. Worked great.

I used small screws, washers and bolts for easy removal.

I used pop rivets with washers backing them up to spread the load on the plastic. Worked great.

The new reproduction door panels I got from Dennis-Carpenter had you use pop rivets.

The new reproduction door panels I got from Dennis-Carpenter had you use pop rivets.

What size rivets?

I think I used 1/4" rivets w/a 1/4" reach aluminum rivets.

I got to looking at it last night, and I'm not sure I can use rivets now. The door panel edge curves downward into the door where it lays flush against a metal flange on the door. Any protrusion from the door panel will be an issue.

I read one guy used double sided trim tape (3M VHB?) and some zip ties. Drill holes for zip ties. And drill carefully in the uncooked lasagna noodles that are 40 year old plastic.

I did this job recently. Instead of staples I used stainless steel wire that I think was about .031" diameter. I clamped the sweep onto the door and drilled holes through them both with a drill bit slightly larger than the wire diameter. I put 2 holes about an inch apart, and did that about 5 or 6 times over the length of the sweep. Then run a U shaped piece of wire through both holes from the sweep side, and then twist them together on the back side. Make sure they are nice and flat on the sweep, like a staple would be. It worked pretty well, and no harm or breakage to the door card.

After much contemplation on how to adhere the inner sweep, went the staple route and am very pleased. Used stainless steel 1/2 wide long staples, pre-drilled the window sweep at strategic locations, clamped it to the panel using it as a guide and then drilled the panel and inserted the staples. Staples were then flattened with some large adjustable pliers.

Next job is water shield fabrication. Picture below is of template.

Interior_Door_Sweep_1.thumb.jpg.b258796dd5ccb2c773eeacf112db39c4.jpg

Interior_Door_Sweep_2.thumb.jpg.2445494eea0ae4ce9c4ade10c3574a2f.jpg

Interior_Door_Sweep_3.thumb.jpg.8c309fa7d8b656ace00de0a1c90aaa11.jpg

Water_Shield_1.thumb.jpg.9272d26f113fb45f46605365a3c52822.jpg