Bullnose Forums

Help finding 1988 emission documentation

Coming up short and drawing a blank on where to get documentation - info and ideas to find the info for the 351 catalytic converter part numbers. I remember back in the day, there was no difference to the 50 state and 49 state catalytic converters, they were the same part numbers, the only difference was under the hood emissions equipment.

The 1988 f150 has 2 of them. I'm speculating all of fords light truck / broncos and so forth are the same. Don't know about the ford passenger vehicles.

See the page at Documentation/Exhaust Systems. On that page look at the Illustrations tab and you'll see there were two cats: 5E212 and 5F250 being the base part numbers.

To find your part numbers you need to find the part list number, and you do that by going to the Part Numbers tab and in that go to the Model Application Chart tab. Find your part list number, then go to the Parts List tab and scroll down to that part list.

As for all of them being the same, I don't think so. There are over 250 parts lists, so I've not gone through all of them. But in the first few I see E0, E1, and E2 prefixes, and later I see E6 and E9 prefixes. So I know there were changes.

By the way, I should have pointed out that you've missed the email that Jim sent you that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and introduce yourself, and which point you'd be free to post here in the main section. The reason for that is that we have the guidelines posted in the NMSH folder and want to make sure everyone has a chance to see them as we hold everyone to them.

So please do that.

By the way, I should have pointed out that you've missed the email that Jim sent you that asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and introduce yourself, and which point you'd be free to post here in the main section. The reason for that is that we have the guidelines posted in the NMSH folder and want to make sure everyone has a chance to see them as we hold everyone to them.

So please do that.

Yeah I totally didn't read that email. I got caught in the usual - not reading the terms and conditions.

My bad. Thank you for guiding me to the right path.

I gotta Thank Mr Lewis for his top notch info. I was looking for that info for days.

I was able to cross reference the 1988 F150 5.8l catalyic converter was on part list 230, with part # E8TZ-5F250-N. There seems to be different cats used on different cars and trucks, even the same year and model. The difference is what weight the vehicle is --

Pre-OBD II Vehicles (Model year 1995 and older):

Catalytic converter must be approved for vehicle class (PC1, PC2, T1, T2) which is passenger and truck. 1 equals 1 cat on each bank and 2 equals 2 cats after the y-pipe- so true dual exhaust vs single. Then they have different part #'s for the cats - they all do the same thing but my have a different heat shield or pipe size - so have to have different part #'s.

Showing that the federal 49 state converters are the same as the 50 state CA converters. Also with wikipedia " In 1981, two-way catalytic converters were rendered obsolete by "three-way" converters " It just didn't make sense that the TWC "three way converters" would not have been used in all cars and trucks by 1988.

Yeah I totally didn't read that email. I got caught in the usual - not reading the terms and conditions.

My bad. Thank you for guiding me to the right path.

I gotta Thank Mr Lewis for his top notch info. I was looking for that info for days.

I was able to cross reference the 1988 F150 5.8l catalyic converter was on part list 230, with part # E8TZ-5F250-N. There seems to be different cats used on different cars and trucks, even the same year and model. The difference is what weight the vehicle is --

Pre-OBD II Vehicles (Model year 1995 and older):

Catalytic converter must be approved for vehicle class (PC1, PC2, T1, T2) which is passenger and truck. 1 equals 1 cat on each bank and 2 equals 2 cats after the y-pipe- so true dual exhaust vs single. Then they have different part #'s for the cats - they all do the same thing but my have a different heat shield or pipe size - so have to have different part #'s.

Showing that the federal 49 state converters are the same as the 50 state CA converters. Also with wikipedia " In 1981, two-way catalytic converters were rendered obsolete by "three-way" converters " It just didn't make sense that the TWC "three way converters" would not have been used in all cars and trucks by 1988.

That is a slightly complex area, meaning that there are worse, but there are certainly better as well. So glad you figured it out. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the guidelines, our joining process is broken and I can't fix it at the moment. So many people are missing the guidelines and, as Scott pointed out, we hold people to them. :nabble_smiley_wink: