Bullnose Forums

Oil filter relocation

Hey all,

Just looking for any thoughts on relocating the filter using a kit like this:

https://derale.com/product-footer/filtration/engine2013-10-28-09-53-27459934969/relocation-kits/15718-detail

Engine is a 351w and with the TTB, exercise is currently like threading a messy needle. Appreciate thoughts on quality of kits, best locations for the filter, and any drawbacks.

Thanks!

I havent personally used that kit before but I have installed remote mount kits at work. One thing I would do is toss the rubber hose and get some nice oil safe braided hose and convert to AN fittings.

I thought of doing a filter relocation on my truck but decided against it as mine is not a TTB so its not hard to get to the filter but it is a bit messy when the oil pours out on initial unscrewing of the filter if you dont let the truck sit over night to drain.

One thing I would do is toss the rubber hose and get some nice oil safe braided hose and convert to AN fittings.

That's a good idea. Last thing you'd want is for one of the hoses to fail.

yep I dont like those clamps. You can get some oil safe braided hose and use one of those reuseable AN hose ends that will never leak unless the hose is cut.

yep I dont like those clamps. You can get some oil safe braided hose and use one of those reuseable AN hose ends that will never leak unless the hose is cut.

Where do you plan on placing/relocating it?

Big as these trucks are, there’s not a great deal of room in the bay.

Not sure where the original poster plans to mount, but at work we typically mount them to the frame horn towards the radiator.

Yeah you're right Vic, and I'm not sure yet. I was hoping I might see some examples here lol.

Rusty, that's another good idea. I'll have to have a closer look there.

Yeah you're right Vic, and I'm not sure yet. I was hoping I might see some examples here lol.

Rusty, that's another good idea. I'll have to have a closer look there.

Its a pretty good location if you have the room and it also allows for oil to drain from the filter straight into the pan. But some times you have things in the way and have to mount somewhere else. Ive seen auxiliary filters even ontop of remote mounting done up under the hood where you have to use a small pan under the hood to catch the oil as there was no place to mount them down low.