Bullnose Forums

Radio headaches

Picked up an 81 radio with mounting plate and all factory wiring today. Removed the non working aftermarket unit that was spliced into the truck. I am having a hard time finding the correct wiring to get it working. I have the yellow and blacked hashed wire and the blue with red that seemed to power the aftermarket unit. The Ford radio has both plugs still connected. Any guidance would be appreciated. I checked the Haynes Manuel and it was not clear on the radio wires and I checked the

These diagrams should be the colors on the radio if an oem and the colors they connect to.

Thank you. I had to look at it on a real screen and not my phone. Looks like I need to get some bullet connectors and hook them up properly. I might have some trouble shooting on the speaker end but it looks promising. I’ll update when I have time to try it out.

Thank you. I had to look at it on a real screen and not my phone. Looks like I need to get some bullet connectors and hook them up properly. I might have some trouble shooting on the speaker end but it looks promising. I’ll update when I have time to try it out.

Here's a couple phots from when I had my 81 apart that might help.

Speaker connector plug

IMG_20210324_181645299.jpg.952aa63e4169b3cd4082651c085f383f.jpg

Radio connector plug

IMG_20210324_181635316.jpg.8e9ac24dab6931467ac6d4512215511c.jpg

Here's a couple phots from when I had my 81 apart that might help.

Speaker connector plug

Radio connector plug

Thanks randy. I have the factory plugs on the radio side and no plugs on the truck side. I have identified the correct power wires and it seems I’ll have to troubleshoot the speaker side. All I have is the 4 wires for the speakers. I’m assuming one color is for each side individually and the other completes the circuit. I’m going to dig around and see if can’t find the factory speaker wiring although i don’t think mine came factory with a radio. Those photos are just what I needed though so thanks again.

Thanks randy. I have the factory plugs on the radio side and no plugs on the truck side. I have identified the correct power wires and it seems I’ll have to troubleshoot the speaker side. All I have is the 4 wires for the speakers. I’m assuming one color is for each side individually and the other completes the circuit. I’m going to dig around and see if can’t find the factory speaker wiring although i don’t think mine came factory with a radio. Those photos are just what I needed though so thanks again.

Good luck. But maybe you'll find some writing in the dash at least. Mine has the wiring but it had been spliced into. Turns out it works. But when I had the dash pad off, I ran an extra set of wires for"just in case". They be there if I ever need them. And much thicker than the factory wiring.

Factory wiring is never over engineered is it?

Good luck. But maybe you'll find some writing in the dash at least. Mine has the wiring but it had been spliced into. Turns out it works. But when I had the dash pad off, I ran an extra set of wires for"just in case". They be there if I ever need them. And much thicker than the factory wiring.

Factory wiring is never over engineered is it?

Radio is in and works on Fm like a charm. No Am but I rarely if ever tune into that anyway. Going to see if I have a tape or two laying around to see if the cassette works. Need to pick up the right bullet connectors tomorrow to button things up. Would not haveing an antenna attached cause problems with the am reception? Thanks for the diagrams and the pictures they were priceless. And to the nice gentleman from Craigslist who sold me the radio for a more then fair price.

Radio is in and works on Fm like a charm. No Am but I rarely if ever tune into that anyway. Going to see if I have a tape or two laying around to see if the cassette works. Need to pick up the right bullet connectors tomorrow to button things up. Would not haveing an antenna attached cause problems with the am reception? Thanks for the diagrams and the pictures they were priceless. And to the nice gentleman from Craigslist who sold me the radio for a more then fair price.

:nabble_smiley_good: