Bullnose Forums

Totally Stainless

Glad this thread exists :)

Getting my truck painted and have been contemplating going with the full styleside body/bed kit.

I really wish they had the indented hex heads as I am not sure how good plain hex heads will look.

They do have the button head bolts but also not sure on that look.

I spoke to a lady there today (very helpful) and was told that the bolts were equivalent to grade 2 (I believe this is standard for common stainless besides arp stuff). I figure that will work just fine for most things but I did have some concern for the hood hinges, door jambs, and tailgates hinge bolts. I know the tailgate hinge bolts are a 9.8 (~grade 5). Not sure if there would be any concern there with downgrading the strength.

I've put a lot of thought into this the past couple of days as it's a fair chunk of change for arguably, aesthetics. Would be glad to hear any thoughts/opinions.

Did you ask if they had harder stainless? The guy I spoke to said they did, but it may not be for the applications you are speaking of.

I wouldn't think a G5 is needed for the tailgate unless you are trying to contain stuff that's rolling around in the bed. But I'm not sure I think that's a good idea for door hinges or latches.

Did you ask if they had harder stainless? The guy I spoke to said they did, but it may not be for the applications you are speaking of.

I wouldn't think a G5 is needed for the tailgate unless you are trying to contain stuff that's rolling around in the bed. But I'm not sure I think that's a good idea for door hinges or latches.

I asked if the kit contained any hard grades in it but didn't think to ask if they could be swapped in. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I know the tailgate hinge bolts are a 9.8 (~grade 5). Not sure if there would be any concern there with downgrading the strength.

I personally would have no issue with lower grade bolts for the tailgate. Now, if you said you wanted to use lower grade bolts for suspension or steering components, then no...of course you wouldn't want to, but for a tailgate, sure, why not. Others may disagree, but that's my 2 cents.

...the bolts were equivalent to grade 2 (I believe this is standard for common stainless besides arp stuff).
Ford recommends nothing lower than Gr.5 anywhere on its vehicles. But factory fasteners are significantly stronger than Gr.5. I don't even like going that low. What good is a shiny bolt if it breaks or strips?

...the bolts were equivalent to grade 2 (I believe this is standard for common stainless besides arp stuff).
Ford recommends nothing lower than Gr.5 anywhere on its vehicles. But factory fasteners are significantly stronger than Gr.5. I don't even like going that low. What good is a shiny bolt if it breaks or strips?

Agreed. I am a big fan of overkill so purposefully going down in terms of strength (whether the strength is needed or not) doesn't sit well. I will give them a call again to see if there are any other options. Otherwise I will likely visit a local shop and only buy stainless (in higher grades) for the locations that are readily seen like hood hinges.