Bullnose Forums

Addressing cam lobe defect

Installed my new edelbrock cam into the block the other day. Was lubricating the cam lobes when my finger noticed a sharp burr at the edge of one lobe. It's almost invisible to the eye, but it sticks up above the lobe surface like a tooth and is definitely a problem.

I emailed Edelbrock for guidance (three days ago now) and still no reply. Of course, they're closed for the weekend now as well. I was really hoping to get things moving again this weekend though.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Should I wait to talk to Edelbrock, or should I just try to repair it?

What would be the best way to approach knocking it off and finishing it?

At this point I'm blessing my luck that I took the time to rub the lube onto the lobes by hand otherwise I never would have noticed it.

It is good that you found that.

I'm torn between suggesting that you use a stone to take the burr off vs waiting for Edelbrock to respond. I guess it depends on how rapidly you need to move on with your project.

My understanding is that the lifters don't run on the edge of the lobe, so I wouldn't think that using a hard stone to remove the point would cause a problem. But then I don't really know. :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm torn between suggesting that you use a stone to take the burr off vs waiting for Edelbrock to respond. I guess it depends on how rapidly you need to move on with your project.

Lol, yeah me too.

I was annoyed because I had the crank all cleaned up and ready to go in right afterwards, but then I had to hose it back down with WD40 and put it away again.

I was all set this morning to take the cam out and attempt to fix it, but then I had second thoughts and painted my water pump instead.

Lol, yeah me too.

I was annoyed because I had the crank all cleaned up and ready to go in right afterwards, but then I had to hose it back down with WD40 and put it away again.

I was all set this morning to take the cam out and attempt to fix it, but then I had second thoughts and painted my water pump instead.

Glad I waited. Still haven't heard back from Edelbrock, but I called the retailer where I bought my cam and lifter kit this morning. They're going to take it all back in exchange for a new kit, no worries.