Bullnose Forums

Source For Closed-Cell Foam Tape?

Hey folks, I'm looking for 1" wide by 1/2" thick closed-cell foam tape, aka weather stripping. But I'm having no luck finding it. I find 3/8" thick and 3/4" thick, and even 2/5" thick if you can believe it.

So if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

As for what I'm doing with it, it'll be under the "wings" and front lip of the toolbox on Big Blue. By "wings" I mean the parts of the toolbox that extend out over the tops of the bed sides. And the front lip protrudes from the front of the box and will sit above the front panel of the bed.

The toolbox will be bolted to the bed floor and my measurements say the gap between the toolbox and the top of the bedsides and front panel will be 3/8 - 7/16", so 3/8" foam isn't enough. But 3/4" may be too much. So I'm looking for 1/2" as I think that will provide just enough cushion to prevent the toolbox from touching the bed when I'm crossed up.

How about a 7/16 thick foam tape? Frost King makes some high density weather stripping at 1-1/4 x 7/16. Should be able to pick it up at your local orange home improvement store.

Thanks, Danny. I bought some 1" x 3/4" and will see if it is too tall, but if it is I'll try some of the 7/16" stuff. But 1 1/4" wide is just a bit too wide so I hope the 1" stuff will work.

Thanks, Danny. I bought some 1" x 3/4" and will see if it is too tall, but if it is I'll try some of the 7/16" stuff. But 1 1/4" wide is just a bit too wide so I hope the 1" stuff will work.

That got me thinking, a lot of that open cell foam used in the dash etc drys, compresses and crumbles away. I wonder what the original dimensions of those were. There are so many epdm and other foam tape options out there that could replace those.

That got me thinking, a lot of that open cell foam used in the dash etc drys, compresses and crumbles away. I wonder what the original dimensions of those were. There are so many epdm and other foam tape options out there that could replace those.

Yes, the old stuff just crumbles. I don't know if that is due to the chemicals they used at the time, or if that is just the nature of that stuff. I sure hope this new closed-cell tape holds up a whole lot better.

I'll be using the 1" x 3/4" tape on top of the bedsides and the front panel of the bed so the toolbox compresses it enough to both seal out dust and rain as well as to prevent the toolbox from hitting the bed when crossed up offroad. And there will be a piece of 1 1/2 x 1/8" foam tape on the rear face of the header at the top of the front panel that will prevent the box from hitting the bed that way.

Then there will be another piece of the 1 x 3/4" tape on the rear of the toolbox to keep the bed cover's module and tracks from hitting the toolbox and to prevent water from getting into the bed. And the tracks for the bed cover have their own foam tape that seal them to the tops of the bedsides.

So there will be a whole lot of foam tape in use, and I sure hope it doesn't crumble!