Bullnose Forums

Belt squeal after alt change?

Does the new alternator have a new pulley? Is the belt tension correct? Is the belt new? Is it possible that the battery is not fully charged?

Yes, I second David's questions.

And, is the alternator just a replacement 1G? Hooked up exactly the same? And the same regulator?

I ask because your symptoms are normal with a 3G w/o the delayed start regulator. But I wouldn't expect that from a 1G as they don't put out enough at idle to slip a properly-tightened belt. Or at least I wouldn't have thought so.

Does the new alternator have a new pulley? Is the belt tension correct? Is the belt new? Is it possible that the battery is not fully charged?

The new alternator has the old pulley. How can I check the belt tension? Should it be super tight?

The new alternator has the old pulley. How can I check the belt tension? Should it be super tight?

Rule of thumb I use is you should not be able to turn the alternator pulley. If you can turn it then the belt is too loose and will slip.

Turn it with what? Your hand? A wrench? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Your hand. Put your thumb on the fan blade of the alternator and try and push. If it doesnt move I then use a wrench on the nut and try to rock it and see if it tries to rock the crank itself.

Typically if you cant turn it by hand its tight enough I noticed. With the 3G I am going to use the rock method with a 3/8 ratchet on the alternator pulley to tension the belt tight enough that it tries to turn the engine.

Turn it with what? Your hand? A wrench? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

Your hand. Put your thumb on the fan blade of the alternator and try and push. If it doesnt move I then use a wrench on the nut and try to rock it and see if it tries to rock the crank itself.

Typically if you cant turn it by hand its tight enough I noticed. With the 3G I am going to use the rock method with a 3/8 ratchet on the alternator pulley to tension the belt tight enough that it tries to turn the engine.

I just don’t get how to make it any tighter. I’m pushing the alt as hard as possible and it still is kinda loose. How do you get enough leverage?

image305.jpg.a2c0f110203ba813ded0167aa8afdfbf.jpg

I just don’t get how to make it any tighter. I’m pushing the alt as hard as possible and it still is kinda loose. How do you get enough leverage?

when I did mine, I pried between the alternator and the engine block, from underneath with a pry bar. I'll try and get some pictures tonight when I can work on the truck