Bullnose Forums

Low oil pressure after extended highway run

Just a word of warning, I have an Intellitronix universal digital dash installed in my Suzuki Samurai and even with the oil pressure sensor remote mounted I've had 3 failures in 4 years. Their stuff is lifetime warranty, but it's a little distressing watching the oil pressure swing from 10psi to 50psi on the freeway at 3500rpm. The first two were mounted to the block and the 3rd was remote. I think their sending unit is sensitive to vibration.

I am in the process of finding a sender from an alternate manufacturer. I am making the assumption that the code for the gauges is the same given that they only list the one sending unit on their website.

I have an aftermarket gauge Y'd in with my factory oil pressure gauge on my 460. I bought the fittings at Home Depot and Amazon.

Note that this has seen zero road miles since install.

Thanks for the intel Chris. If you find a different sensor and think of it, let us know. It sounds like I'll probably have the same issue, but at least now it won't be unexpected.

Rusty, thanks for the tips. They totally make sense. I've used the trick of using grease to keep a nut in a socket many times, hadn't thought of it for drilling a hole.

Thanks for the intel Chris. If you find a different sensor and think of it, let us know. It sounds like I'll probably have the same issue, but at least now it won't be unexpected.

Rusty, thanks for the tips. They totally make sense. I've used the trick of using grease to keep a nut in a socket many times, hadn't thought of it for drilling a hole.

I just wanted to update this.

I just received the replacement sending unit from Intellitronix for my Suzuki. They changed sensors at some point from a single post to a double post Here's their sending unit. They also list the resistance range on the website now which they didn't the last time I looked. The sensor is 0 to 100PSI and has a resistance range of:

PSINominal Resistance Resistance Range
0-2242227-257
3-7182155-210
5010392-114
1003322-49

This is from their website, I just formatted the table better.

From this it would seem that they have chosen a marine sensor to base theirs off of, at least as best I can tell. All the 240-33 ohm range sensors that I have been able to find show op on marine websites. It doesn't really matter since the fittings are the same, but the closest "automotive" one I could find is from Autometer and it 255 to 43. This is within the tolerance range, but doesn't take into account the tolerance of the autometer sender.

I've got a high mileage 351w that does something similar. I have a gauge but no light.

Reading the gauge goes something like this:

When the engine is cold, oil pressure is in the upper half of the gauge range at idle.

When the engine is warm and at working RPMs, oil pressure is in the lower half of the gauge range.

When the engine is warm and RPMs drop off to idle, oil pressure drops off to the bottom of the gauge range.

I figure it's like Gary suggested in his post, that once the engine warms up and the oil thins out, it takes some RPM and more flow to keep the pressure up through these old bearings.

For years now, I've been using "Lucas" brand heavy-duty oil stabilizer with each oil change, and it makes a difference. Obviously it doesn't fix the underlying issue, but I'm sure it's helped me squeeze more useful life out of the engine.

Lucas,

I added a small STP oil treatment bottle and it helped the startup issue a little. Today I added a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, like you do, and the problem seems to be gone (though not "fixed" as you point out). So I think you hit this on the nose.

Lucas,

I added a small STP oil treatment bottle and it helped the startup issue a little. Today I added a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, like you do, and the problem seems to be gone (though not "fixed" as you point out). So I think you hit this on the nose.

Hey John, I'm glad it worked out.

I'm not usually one for "solutions in a bottle" but that stuff seems to work pretty well. I'm using it as assembly lube in the replacement engine I'm currently building for my truck.

Hope you get many more miles - cheers!