Bullnose Forum

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

I agree that I've not seen that item crack on any of the columns I've seen. But I don't know about an upgraded one. Maybe that's the E2TZ vs E0TZ?

I think he was referring to the fact that it was a tilt wheel column and that is what he was considering an upgrade. I could be incorrect but that's how I read it. personally, I do not consider it an upgrade as they are more fragile. I almost exclusively use mine in the strait forward position so it's kinda wasted on me. i have a friend who had a cool 86 bronco and he tilted it up to get out and back down to drive every time. he also used his steering wheel as a pull handle. his whole column was dangerously sloppy!

I think he was referring to the fact that it was a tilt wheel column and that is what he was considering an upgrade. I could be incorrect but that's how I read it. personally, I do not consider it an upgrade as they are more fragile. I almost exclusively use mine in the strait forward position so it's kinda wasted on me. i have a friend who had a cool 86 bronco and he tilted it up to get out and back down to drive every time. he also used his steering wheel as a pull handle. his whole column was dangerously sloppy!

Yes, they are fragile. Big Blue came from the factory with one and when I got him he frequently wouldn't start. I'm sure it was the piece in the column that breaks, so when I "transformed" him I put a non-tilting column back in. Now I can hoist myself in with the wheel w/o worrying about breaking the column, and that's needed since he's sorta lifted.

Yes, they are fragile. Big Blue came from the factory with one and when I got him he frequently wouldn't start. I'm sure it was the piece in the column that breaks, so when I "transformed" him I put a non-tilting column back in. Now I can hoist myself in with the wheel w/o worrying about breaking the column, and that's needed since he's sorta lifted.

I was looking for a not tilt column for lefty but only found a tilt column so that's what I have rebuilt for him. i hope to be stocking mor over the next year as I can but who knows what that may look like.

Ford apparently issued the MPC in both microfiche and paper format. A couple of people have gotten a license to digitize the 1994 version of the 1980 - 89 MPC, and they apparently used the exact same copy as it has the same creases - and same page omissions.

Bill/Numberdummy gave me a couple of copies of the MPC on microfiche, an '82 and an '86. And he and Chris/Ctubutis gave me two microfiche viewers, which sit on top of my powder coating booth at about the 8' level. So when I need to view one of the microfiche catalogs I have to drag out the ladder and "climb the microfiche tower".

Also, Bill gave me three cross-references - an '80, an '85, and a '90. It was the '80 version that nailed the part number for you tonight.

So while I have one of the best libraries in the world on Bullnose trucks, I owe a lot of that to Bill and Chris.

Thank you for all your efforts in gathering this information and helping us. Many future generations will benefit from this.

Ford apparently issued the MPC in both microfiche and paper format. A couple of people have gotten a license to digitize the 1994 version of the 1980 - 89 MPC, and they apparently used the exact same copy as it has the same creases - and same page omissions.

Bill/Numberdummy gave me a couple of copies of the MPC on microfiche, an '82 and an '86. And he and Chris/Ctubutis gave me two microfiche viewers, which sit on top of my powder coating booth at about the 8' level. So when I need to view one of the microfiche catalogs I have to drag out the ladder and "climb the microfiche tower".

Also, Bill gave me three cross-references - an '80, an '85, and a '90. It was the '80 version that nailed the part number for you tonight.

So while I have one of the best libraries in the world on Bullnose trucks, I owe a lot of that to Bill and Chris.

I have yet to see that piece crack on any that I have worked on so let's hope it is a rarity. but you found one on ebay and I would guess it's far more than the column you bought. I would keep scouring for another column. I just rebuilt the exact same column for my current build, and I will advise as best as I can. the plastic bearing on the lower end is cracked i see but that is a part that is now available as an upgraded metal version. I don't remember exactly where right now but maybe another will have a fresher memory.

Yes, that one part cost far more then the column I purchased at the salvage yard. I am glad to hear you rebuilt the column so maybe you can help answer some questions. Is the upper and lower bearing the same that is inside the column? The parts diagram uses the same number but LMC has two different parts and one bearing is backordered for over 10 weeks.

The plastic bearing holder that is cracked I ordered the metal version on LMC. Hopefully it fits correctly. It is also the only way to get that bearing is to order that upgrade part since they don't offer the bearing separately.

I have yet to see that piece crack on any that I have worked on so let's hope it is a rarity. but you found one on ebay and I would guess it's far more than the column you bought. I would keep scouring for another column. I just rebuilt the exact same column for my current build, and I will advise as best as I can. the plastic bearing on the lower end is cracked i see but that is a part that is now available as an upgraded metal version. I don't remember exactly where right now but maybe another will have a fresher memory.

You are correct. I was considering the tilt column as an upgrade. It may come in handy depending on my seated position. Since I have never drove the truck yet I can't really tell.

I think I will rebuild the non tilt column that came with my truck as a back up plan. It will be ready to go. Maybe I can use it as some garage decoration.

I was looking for a not tilt column for lefty but only found a tilt column so that's what I have rebuilt for him. i hope to be stocking mor over the next year as I can but who knows what that may look like.

What do you mean by stocking more? Do you have items for sale or only your personal collection?

What do you mean by stocking more? Do you have items for sale or only your personal collection?

generally speaking, I keep everything that may be usable. i retired early in life and restoring and modifying these trucks is primarily what I do. and intend to as long as I can. I'm always in the middle of one or another and try to stock parts as I can. I just bought a home in nc where I have a better garage and access to more workspace off the property where my current project is being built. still in the process so I have not been to the shop to work for 6 weeks and I'm having withdrawals. as soon as I complete this I will be sourcing more to stock and may even start selling parts or rebuilds. I have not fully decided which or both yet but engines for sure. and I may do custom components like columns if it's good for both parties. I'm not afraid to do some of the things that may be beyond others comfort level. that and we do run a mechanics shop also. not a big, advertised shop but one of those hidden in plain sight old shops. locals know.

generally speaking, I keep everything that may be usable. i retired early in life and restoring and modifying these trucks is primarily what I do. and intend to as long as I can. I'm always in the middle of one or another and try to stock parts as I can. I just bought a home in nc where I have a better garage and access to more workspace off the property where my current project is being built. still in the process so I have not been to the shop to work for 6 weeks and I'm having withdrawals. as soon as I complete this I will be sourcing more to stock and may even start selling parts or rebuilds. I have not fully decided which or both yet but engines for sure. and I may do custom components like columns if it's good for both parties. I'm not afraid to do some of the things that may be beyond others comfort level. that and we do run a mechanics shop also. not a big, advertised shop but one of those hidden in plain sight old shops. locals know.

Sounds like you have a great setup. Congratulations on the new property with room to work. I am in NC too. Maybe we can trade some parts some time if you need something.