Bullnose Forums

Inductive Heat Tool for Rusty Bolts - MUST HAVE

I hear ya. If money were no thing, I'd have to build a garage 5x as big as the one I am now to fit all my tools and cars.....

Well, so much for the MAPP gas idea. I had this lower plenum with a twisted off thermostat housing bolt, so thought, in light of the above discussion, that I'd prove that I could get it out easily. Here's the twisted-off bolt before my attempts:

Hucks_Thermostat_Bolt.thumb.jpg.3f75ac5630b989173259ddb4e31164d6.jpg

And, after a round of MAPP gas and Vise Grips well and truly applied the only difference was that the paint was gone. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, out came the welder and I welded the nut to the stump of the bolt. Lots of penetration and heat, and the nut glowed red for quite a while when I was done. And it looked like this:

Hucks_T-Stat_Bolt_and_Nut.thumb.jpg.e31cf9e0cdc6bc959d5037530117f797.jpg

After it cooled and I'd flooded it with penetrating oil and coaxed it with lots of tapping, I gently started tapping on a wrench with my hand. Pretty soon I started getting movement and thought I was "there", only to learn that the stump was now 1 turn shorter. :nabble_anim_confused:

So I did it again, this time ensuring that the weld was as hot as I could make it to both get as much penetration as thermal shock on the threads. And, now I have two nuts with about 1 turn of the bolt in them:

Hucks_T-Stat_Nuts.thumb.jpg.fcd8d5077b19cb9f5043fab1e80a32a9.jpg

So, now there's only enough thread showing to fill a nut, and I have Loctite Red in there and will let it sit overnight before seeing if that will work. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, so much for the MAPP gas idea. I had this lower plenum with a twisted off thermostat housing bolt, so thought, in light of the above discussion, that I'd prove that I could get it out easily. Here's the twisted-off bolt before my attempts:

And, after a round of MAPP gas and Vise Grips well and truly applied the only difference was that the paint was gone. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, out came the welder and I welded the nut to the stump of the bolt. Lots of penetration and heat, and the nut glowed red for quite a while when I was done. And it looked like this:

After it cooled and I'd flooded it with penetrating oil and coaxed it with lots of tapping, I gently started tapping on a wrench with my hand. Pretty soon I started getting movement and thought I was "there", only to learn that the stump was now 1 turn shorter. :nabble_anim_confused:

So I did it again, this time ensuring that the weld was as hot as I could make it to both get as much penetration as thermal shock on the threads. And, now I have two nuts with about 1 turn of the bolt in them:

So, now there's only enough thread showing to fill a nut, and I have Loctite Red in there and will let it sit overnight before seeing if that will work. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Did that weld a nut on trick on a broken water pump bolt on a 351W a few weeks back. Works well.

I have a couple of induction cooktops that I use in the motorhome. Pretty simple principle and I wonder how difficult it would be to DIY something like this? Basically, a moving magnetic field and ferrous metals develop eddy currents which become heat.

Intriguing!

Did that weld a nut on trick on a broken water pump bolt on a 351W a few weeks back. Works well.

I have a couple of induction cooktops that I use in the motorhome. Pretty simple principle and I wonder how difficult it would be to DIY something like this? Basically, a moving magnetic field and ferrous metals develop eddy currents which become heat.

Intriguing!

What about running serious current through the bolt via an arc welder?