Bullnose Forums

Block Plate for 302 with NP435

Hello!

I need to find the correct Block Plate for 302 with NP435, 4 speed Manual Transmission.

Backstory:

I recently got a 1984 F-150 4x4. It has a 302 V8/5.0L engine that I believe is a swap by one of the previous owners.

Casting on the engine block: E6SE - BA. According to Google is from a 1986 Thunderbird.

Dropped the transmission because the flywheel (164 tooth, 50oz.) was grinding against the block plate and make a terrible grinding noise when I try to crank the truck.

There were metal filings from the flywheel teeth and starter teeth not meshing well.

Bellhousing number: E4TA-7505-DA

Current Block Plate number: D8DE 329 CA373 CA

The current block plate's edges were either broken or intentionally cut off so, I'm not even sure it is the correct part or not. The bolt holes line up perfectly (except for the starter opening part that's been cut off of course)

Any help in identifying the correct combination of Block plate for my Bellhousing (E4TA-7505-DA), the correct flywheel and the correct starter will be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long-winded message. Trying to provide as much detail as possible.

Darwin,

I'm guessing that the issue here is that the block plate you have is from a car. The 302 can be a bit of a nightmare with parts interchangeability...but one of the big differences is that the truck version of the SBF used a larger (164 tooth) flywheel, and the cars used a smaller (157 tooth) flywheel. This means that the car bellhousings were a little smaller as well. So...I'm assuming that the block plate you have was slightly small (maybe that's why it looks like the edges were cut off, presumably on the bottom?) and it would also explain why the opening for the starter was cut off...because it would not align properly with the bolt holes in the truck bellhousing. On top of all that, without the correct block plate in there, the starter would not be in the 100% correct position (because of the missing thickness of the plate, and it's alignment factor).

This is all just my assumption...but I think you need to find a better plate, from a truck transmission.

The E6SE is a 1986 (or newer) block, which would require a 50oz balance flywheel (which your 1984 truck should have had originally if it was a factory 302 truck).

As for the starter...you just need to make sure that it is a correct manual trans starter (they were different between manual and auto). The snouts were different...you can look at pictures of them on RockAuto to confirm what you have.

I'm guessing that a new (correct) block plate for a truck manual trans is what you need. Too bad you weren't closer, as I'm pretty sure I have an extra one.

Darwin,

I'm guessing that the issue here is that the block plate you have is from a car. The 302 can be a bit of a nightmare with parts interchangeability...but one of the big differences is that the truck version of the SBF used a larger (164 tooth) flywheel, and the cars used a smaller (157 tooth) flywheel. This means that the car bellhousings were a little smaller as well. So...I'm assuming that the block plate you have was slightly small (maybe that's why it looks like the edges were cut off, presumably on the bottom?) and it would also explain why the opening for the starter was cut off...because it would not align properly with the bolt holes in the truck bellhousing. On top of all that, without the correct block plate in there, the starter would not be in the 100% correct position (because of the missing thickness of the plate, and it's alignment factor).

This is all just my assumption...but I think you need to find a better plate, from a truck transmission.

The E6SE is a 1986 (or newer) block, which would require a 50oz balance flywheel (which your 1984 truck should have had originally if it was a factory 302 truck).

As for the starter...you just need to make sure that it is a correct manual trans starter (they were different between manual and auto). The snouts were different...you can look at pictures of them on RockAuto to confirm what you have.

I'm guessing that a new (correct) block plate for a truck manual trans is what you need. Too bad you weren't closer, as I'm pretty sure I have an extra one.

Rembrant,

Thank you for your response.

You are correct, I am looking for a block plate from a truck with a manual transmission. Also, to clarify...I did have a 164-tooth; 50oz balance Flywheel on the truck.

I'd like to buy the one you have if it is indeed the correct one and I'd greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to ship it. I'm in Marietta, GA and I will pay shipping fee; of course.

Here are a few images to show you the current block plate and bellhousing...

IMG_20210326_234125.jpg.d0066e0de718933ddb7c8d55fdde05c7.jpg

IMG_20210327_092143__01.thumb.jpg.67cbcd79d4238ef8b88553387335a8e9.jpg

IMG_20210326_235513.jpg.039a334c258564c985d35c45a4f1e7b3.jpg

Rembrant,

Thank you for your response.

You are correct, I am looking for a block plate from a truck with a manual transmission. Also, to clarify...I did have a 164-tooth; 50oz balance Flywheel on the truck.

I'd like to buy the one you have if it is indeed the correct one and I'd greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to ship it. I'm in Marietta, GA and I will pay shipping fee; of course.

Here are a few images to show you the current block plate and bellhousing...

I will check on it in the morning as it is at my work with some other parts. I’ll let you know ASAP.

Hi Darwin,

The one I have is stamped C5AE 6A373 C, which means it's an old one...but I'm pretty sure it's a truck spacer plate as that is all I've had here. I would give it to you for free if you were close. Problem is I am in Canada and shipping to you will likely be $40-$50 or more and take 2 weeks to get there.

IMG_4319.jpg.352c63514ecb3f4d98395b9800471df1.jpg

I checked Summit and they have one that is noted as being for 164 tooth bellhousings, but it doesn't say much else.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c9dz-7007-a?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudByzaSCZCy8zFpyC4AeXXS6YqcwUWAky-Db5BMgI-lD6sWxAWG3HszcRoCz8oQAvD_BwE

Drake website has some more details...

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/69-73-302-351-m-t-spacer-plate-c9dz-7007-a

Do you have any salvage yards close by? One of these plates should be fairly easy to come by in any yard that has had some old Fords there. They would fit from the 70's right up to the mid-90's.

Hi Darwin,

The one I have is stamped C5AE 6A373 C, which means it's an old one...but I'm pretty sure it's a truck spacer plate as that is all I've had here. I would give it to you for free if you were close. Problem is I am in Canada and shipping to you will likely be $40-$50 or more and take 2 weeks to get there.

I checked Summit and they have one that is noted as being for 164 tooth bellhousings, but it doesn't say much else.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c9dz-7007-a?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudByzaSCZCy8zFpyC4AeXXS6YqcwUWAky-Db5BMgI-lD6sWxAWG3HszcRoCz8oQAvD_BwE

Drake website has some more details...

https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/69-73-302-351-m-t-spacer-plate-c9dz-7007-a

Do you have any salvage yards close by? One of these plates should be fairly easy to come by in any yard that has had some old Fords there. They would fit from the 70's right up to the mid-90's.

Hi Rembrant!

Thanks for the prompt response and your willingness to help me out.

I had also checked Summit, BroncoGraveyard, and many other parts sites but the information is inconclusive as to whether the plate will fit my truck.

There are a few salvage yards nearby but, none of them have the correct block plate.

I have seen several of manual transmission plates being sold, but most say for Mustang 302/351 and years end in the 70's. My truck is a 1984 f-150, so I've been hesitant to try them.

I don't mind waiting 2 weeks or more, or even paying the $40-$50 as long as we know for that it will work. Also, I'm so grateful for your generosity in your willingness to let me have it for free. I however, would like to send you some cash in addition to the shipping fee as a token of my appreciation. Do you have PayPal?

**UPDATE** Right after I sent this reply, someone who might be closer to me responded on ford-truck.com . While the person hasn't confirmed whether he is willing to sell and ship it to me, I still want to keep you in the loop.

Hi Rembrant!

I had also checked Summit, BroncoGraveyard, and many other parts sites but the information is inconclusive as to whether the plate will fit my truck.

There are a few salvage yards nearby but, none of them have the correct block plate.

I have seen several of manual transmission plates being sold, but most say for Mustang 302/351 and years end in the 70's. My truck is a 1984 f-150, so I've been hesitant to try them.

I don't mind waiting 2 weeks or more, or even paying the $40-$50 as long as we know for that it will work. Also, I'm so grateful for your generosity in your willingness to let me have it for free. I however, would like to send you some cash in addition to the shipping fee as a token of my appreciation. Do you have PayPal?

**UPDATE** Right after I sent this reply, someone who might be closer to me responded on ford-truck.com . While the person hasn't confirmed whether he is willing to sell and ship it to me, I still want to keep you in the loop.

I think I still have the one from my 1986 parts truck with a 302. Only problem is it's from an automatic. If anybody can verify whether it will work for him, I'm willing to let it go since I don't need it.

FWIW, on my little Ranger, the only difference between the auto and manual plates are that the manual plate has a circular shim the same thickness as the plate that goes around the starter opening. It's spot welded on in two spots, so I assume if this is how the F-Series trucks are, it would not be hard to make a spacer for the starter on an automatic plate.

Hi Rembrant!

Understood. No prob.

Hi Rembrant!

Understood. No prob.

Hello Rembrant!

I'm pleased to let you know that I was able to get the guy who's closer to me to mail me the block plate he has.

Thank you so much for your help and guidance!