Bullnose Forums

Has anyone put a Holley throttle body on a 300 I6

There's no difference in function.

Davis Unified Ignition is just expensive branding.

If Rusty is saying you need to lock your ignition at XX° you can easily do that by removing the Spout jumper.

These early EEC trucks used Push Start Thick Film Ignition modules.

They are perfectly happy to run with locked timing.

You don't need the computer for that.

In fact, that is one of the best ways to tell if you have a distributor/module ignition problem or a failed ECU.

Unplug the Spout, and see if the ignition stabilizes.

I'm not sure why he says you can't use a DSII box either?

They don't do any timing control, other than to add a 1 millisecond delay when they sense the starter is engaged.

Otherwise they are just a big transistor making and breaking coil ground, just like points.

You can if you dont want timing control. If you want the sniper to control timing I have not seen anyone state you can use a DSII, you could probably repurpose it if you do some cutting and splicing. But ultimately the sniper is triggering your coil and is using the reluctor in the Distributor to tell the sniper where your engine is at like a cam/crank position sensor. Its why they want you to install the distributor directly on #1 cylinder at 50* btdc and then you rotate it while cranking slightly left and right on some models till a green light lights up inside the distributor to phase it in with the cam. From there your sniper takes over total control of your timing.

Its easier to do with a MSD CD box as they have a twisted pair purple/green wire with correct connector that simply plugs into the MSD box for trigger signal.

Distributor it isnt too big a deal all it is, is basically a giant crank/cam position sensor but what matters is the ignition box itself which will be controlled by the sniper. I dont know if the DSII module could even be triggered by the sniper, there might be a voltage difference and quite possibly fry the DSII module when the signal is introduced from the sniper.

Thats why for me my plan has always been to avoid the timing control function as it is more known for introducing RFI into the sniper and causing running issues and you have to run an aftermarket CD box at the very least. I wouldnt mind running the box if it wasnt for the uncertainty of if the CD box could trigger the OE tach properly without damage. I know many OE tachs arent setup like aftermarket tachs on their signal circuit.