Bullnose Forums

Replacement wire harness plugs and connectors

Is anybody making replacement plugs and connectors that match the OEM plugs on my truck?

What are you guys doing when/if you need to repair or replace a plug/connector in the engine bay or elsewhere on the truck?. I have one now with a broken spade in it, but the rest of them are old and brittle anyway.

I have a stash of wiring harnii from which I pull the needed connector. But some of them are still available. See the catalogs on: Electrical/Wiring Connectors.

Ditto on many salvaged in excellent condition pieces. I also have the spade connectors for the non-molded male/female connectors. I can get those numbers and pictures if needed.

Many of the round pin male and female are used both inside the cab and on the chassis and the interior ones are usually in much better condition and were used on other vehicles than trucks. Ford continued using some of these into the mid to late 90s and possibly longer. If the wire insulation has started to disintegrate, the pigtails will probably be your best bet and the splice kits Ford provides with the kits are terrific and weatherproof once the sleeve is heated to seal the repair.

Ditto on many salvaged in excellent condition pieces. I also have the spade connectors for the non-molded male/female connectors. I can get those numbers and pictures if needed.

Many of the round pin male and female are used both inside the cab and on the chassis and the interior ones are usually in much better condition and were used on other vehicles than trucks. Ford continued using some of these into the mid to late 90s and possibly longer. If the wire insulation has started to disintegrate, the pigtails will probably be your best bet and the splice kits Ford provides with the kits are terrific and weatherproof once the sleeve is heated to seal the repair.

The one's I'm referring to are the old round connectors with the flat spade terminals. I don't see them in that catalog...unless I missed them. I guess I could update them to a more modern connector...I'll check with the dealer next time I'm driving by.

The one's I'm referring to are the old round connectors with the flat spade terminals. I don't see them in that catalog...unless I missed them. I guess I could update them to a more modern connector...I'll check with the dealer next time I'm driving by.

Ok, you are referring to the molded ones like the Duraspark system uses. In the Motorcraft connector catalog, quick look, WPT-350 is a female 3 cavity connector like the DS-II uses, WPT-601 looks exactly like I remember mine using.

Ok, you are referring to the molded ones like the Duraspark system uses. In the Motorcraft connector catalog, quick look, WPT-350 is a female 3 cavity connector like the DS-II uses, WPT-601 looks exactly like I remember mine using.

Yes, the round moulded connectors. They're used for everything on my truck from the reverse switch on the trans to the voltage reg to the DSII module. I'll post a picture tonight, but I think it is the plug on the voltage reg that has a spade broken off inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to working on wiring again...

What is this little thing? Condenser? The plug broke off with ease. Do I need to replace, or can I bin it?

IMG_4532.jpg.900690d8aa11820895efb4fc37a47111.jpg

It was originally mounted under the lower screw holding my voltage regulator to the fender, see old picture below.

IMG_4149.jpg.f6a8ff366cb96d3f96d7b320855b7148.jpg

Back to working on wiring again...

What is this little thing? Condenser? The plug broke off with ease. Do I need to replace, or can I bin it?

It was originally mounted under the lower screw holding my voltage regulator to the fender, see old picture below.

Check your radio before placing it in the bin. That's a capacitor/condenser that removed electrical noise from the electrical system. Oddly enough, only the V8 powered vehicles got them, but they filtered out noise that showed up in the radio as a background buzz, particularly on AM signals. If you don't have any noise in the radio then toss it.

Check your radio before placing it in the bin. If you don't have any noise in the radio then toss it.

I just checked it...no noise...none whatsoever!...lol.

image14.jpeg.0be73a77d5cf29625036f253ade26ee0.jpeg

Thanks Gary. I'm going to bin it.

Ok, I have another electrical question coming shortly...just need to grab a picture...

Check your radio before placing it in the bin. If you don't have any noise in the radio then toss it.

I just checked it...no noise...none whatsoever!...lol.

Thanks Gary. I'm going to bin it.

Ok, I have another electrical question coming shortly...just need to grab a picture...

LOL!!! I forgot. :nabble_smiley_blush: