Bullnose Forums

Weatherstripping - which part first?

So I'm a bit bored at work and trying to stir up conversation. I oredered weatherstripping kit for Walter. All but the vents and windshield/backglass.

Which parts to begin? I would really like to secure the windows. They rattle and get caught going up and down. Thinking of starting there. My door panels are loose so getting them off and on isn't a big deal either. If I do window runs first, then the dew sweepers? Or sweepers then the channels?

I'll have to chip all of it out as I go - it's all dry except vent frames. I wonder if they have been replaced already.

Figure the big seals last.

I've watched vids and searched here. Anything I need to know to make it easier or things that are terribly hard?

It isn't all that hard. As you said, the window seals will have to be broken out if they are hard, like mine were. but once out the new ones go in pretty easily.

On the sweeps, or dew seals as you called them, put the new ones in place by using the stud sticking out to position each one. Then drill holes through the door panels and secure them with pop rivets backed with washers to spread the load. Don't try to staple them 'cause the panels are now much harder than when they were new and they may crack - mine did.

I'd do the window seals and sweeps, then do the door gaskets. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much quieter the truck is.

It isn't all that hard. As you said, the window seals will have to be broken out if they are hard, like mine were. but once out the new ones go in pretty easily.

On the sweeps, or dew seals as you called them, put the new ones in place by using the stud sticking out to position each one. Then drill holes through the door panels and secure them with pop rivets backed with washers to spread the load. Don't try to staple them 'cause the panels are now much harder than when they were new and they may crack - mine did.

I'd do the window seals and sweeps, then do the door gaskets. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much quieter the truck is.

And while you have the door panels off, lubricate the locking mechanisms and apply some sound deadener to the door panels. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And while you have the door panels off, lubricate the locking mechanisms and apply some sound deadener to the door panels. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Good idea on inside door work! I will lube the locks.

Holding off on sound deadener til I can get the speakers and do that as part of the radio project. The fasteners that hold door panel are pretty work and door panels pop out easily. Leaving that also til I am done with inside door. Then a good set to hold it all in.

And Gary - I will be happy to NOT have the wind at my elbow. And to not worry that the windows are going to bust from rattling in the channels. It's pretty awful now.

Everyone takes a different route in a resto job. The PO did the major mechanical and that makes this truck a pleasure and a blessing to have. I am trying to keep the truck ready to run as I do my little things. Having it running makes it more inspiring to keep going and get it fixed and keep it going. I will be done with "Gen 1" in a couple weeks. Then I can start refining on other things.

So far, the projects have turned out small. The weatherstripping is going to be the biggest? project so far. The brake booster turned out to be a non-event.

Just did this job on mine (with new door panels, but otherwise all the same parts):

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Weatherstripping-preventing-door-closure-td91392i20.html#a92754

I had trouble with the window guides... Still don't have them right (or rather, the alumninum tracks on the back inside of the door) but I at least got them, but with some cheating I made it work. Don't do what I did (removing the aluminum tracks) if you can avoid it.

My vent seals were also in good shape... for whatever reason they don't seem to harden... at least mine didn't.

Just did this job on mine (with new door panels, but otherwise all the same parts):

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Weatherstripping-preventing-door-closure-td91392i20.html#a92754

I had trouble with the window guides... Still don't have them right (or rather, the alumninum tracks on the back inside of the door) but I at least got them, but with some cheating I made it work. Don't do what I did (removing the aluminum tracks) if you can avoid it.

My vent seals were also in good shape... for whatever reason they don't seem to harden... at least mine didn't.

Thanks for the link. I believe I have read that thread as well.

The window guides worry me. I think I read to remove a bunch of stuff in the shop manuals. Including the windows.

Videos I've seen all show the window in place. ONe dude tried to get the window to help by rolling it up and down. Not sure how much help he got. I hope to be starting on it this evening.

In addition to lubing the lock, at the much appreciated recommendation of those on this forum I sprayed some silicon grease in the new track seals and it made a big difference. Have done it a couple times since installing them.

Thanks for the link. I believe I have read that thread as well.

The window guides worry me. I think I read to remove a bunch of stuff in the shop manuals. Including the windows.

Videos I've seen all show the window in place. ONe dude tried to get the window to help by rolling it up and down. Not sure how much help he got. I hope to be starting on it this evening.

I'd definitely take the window out. Once you get a feel for where to rotate it and when, it won't take you long at all.

I'd definitely take the window out. Once you get a feel for where to rotate it and when, it won't take you long at all.

2 hours to do driver's side with glass in place. I figured out a way to get the window channels in. Get them down the front and rear far enough to raise the window and pull them down. Chipping out the old took a while as well.

The door seals were not to tough to get out but around the top corners was tough. And I managed to crack my a pillar. The passenger side is already broken.

Can you find those parts in new fresh plastic? Kinda like working with glass.

But driver's side is quiet and I didn't do the extra piece around top yet. Not sure I'll need it?

I'm happier. Another layer of the onion, as Gary says.

2 hours to do driver's side with glass in place. I figured out a way to get the window channels in. Get them down the front and rear far enough to raise the window and pull them down. Chipping out the old took a while as well.

The door seals were not to tough to get out but around the top corners was tough. And I managed to crack my a pillar. The passenger side is already broken.

Can you find those parts in new fresh plastic? Kinda like working with glass.

But driver's side is quiet and I didn't do the extra piece around top yet. Not sure I'll need it?

I'm happier. Another layer of the onion, as Gary says.

Good work, doing the seals is a major improvement!