Bullnose Forums

Passenger side stuck in 4x4

Paulco

I thought I had fixed my 4x4 problem by repairing my locking hub. But now as I work on cleaning the front end I am noticing the passenger axle is permanently locked into the 4x4 axle. I have removed all the parts and only have the axle connected, when turn it the differential moves, when I do the same on the drivers side it does not move. Is this normal or do I have a problem. I was hoping the driveshaft would just pull out as shown in you tube videos but it does not move at all. I assume it should move in and out slightly to engage and disengage the differential.

Assuming you don't have limited slip, which is rare, when turning an axle shaft coming out of the diff another shaft has to turn. In other words, if you turn the passenger-side shaft either the diff's input yoke or the driver's side axle will turn. And that is determined by how much resistance the shafts have.

If the t-case is in 4wd then the input yoke can't turn and the driver's shaft will turn. But if it isn't in 4wd then the input yoke will usually turn as the brake disk is usually dragging on the pads, causing more friction on the driver's shaft than the input.

In other words, you probably don't have a problem.