Bullnose Forums

4X4 Shift Linkage Orientation

Hey gang, I had to drop my four wheel drive shifter when I installed my carpet and now I'm not sure of the orientation of the linkage where it attaches to the transfer case. As pictured below, there are two possible scenarios. Can I get a confirmation as to which one is correct.....one or left or one on right? Thanks!

Linkage_1.thumb.jpg.ed04088db0b3be7b9f8709e34304bad1.jpg

Linkage_2.thumb.jpg.dd8c7e6f2857a28a51eff26d3377ccd5.jpg

Shaun - Is that a 208? So a 208 shifts backwards from a 1345?

Morning fellas, thanks for the input here! Good point on the transfer case, Gary. My transfer case is a NP208F, specifically. What Shaun is showing looks exactly like my transmission/transfer case configuration. Thank you, Shaun!

Morning fellas, thanks for the input here! Good point on the transfer case, Gary. My transfer case is a NP208F, specifically. What Shaun is showing looks exactly like my transmission/transfer case configuration. Thank you, Shaun!

Yep, that should be the one. 👍

Shaun - Is that a 208? So a 208 shifts backwards from a 1345?

Every early 1345 I've seen shifts the same as a New Process. At some point the Borg Warner cases changed to where the bracket on the transfer case points forward, like on my 1356. If you look up Ford 1345 transfer cases on Ebay, you'll find that some have the bracket pointing upwards and on others it is down. I'm not sure what the difference is.