Bullnose Forums

Fuel Tank pressurized?

Tyler

We just had our first 90 degree day here in Georgia and I drove the truck about 110 miles. Went to get gas and the cap nearly came out of my hand when the tank vented. I've had the truck for several years, even drove across country and this has never happened. However, this IS the first hot weather day since installing Holley FI. I thought the roll-over valve would have kept the tank vented for small pressure changes.

Some insight or knowledge upgrade would be appreciated, thanks!

First. after 1986 Ford started using larger tank vent systems, probably since everything was going to be EFI by 1988 and EFI returns warm to hot gas to the tanks resulting in more evaporation. The over 8500 GVW trucks do not use a sealed system even with EFI as recently as the last of the OBS trucks in 1997. Maybe first check that nothing is obstructed on your vent system.

First. after 1986 Ford started using larger tank vent systems, probably since everything was going to be EFI by 1988 and EFI returns warm to hot gas to the tanks resulting in more evaporation. The over 8500 GVW trucks do not use a sealed system even with EFI as recently as the last of the OBS trucks in 1997. Maybe first check that nothing is obstructed on your vent system.

Thank you both. I'll get under there and give that hose a look.

Thank you both. I'll get under there and give that hose a look.

I agree on checking the vent but I just wanted to mention that the 460s (I believe only them) had a gas tank cap that has two levels of tabs. The cap also has a pressure warning on it. With the two levels of tabs and pressure it would vent on the first twist but wouldn't blow the cap off.

I could see the 460s having more vacuum but not sure why they'd have more pressure (Bill?) than any other carbed config.

Reason for mentioning it is (if the vent is clear) maybe the conditions that prompted Ford to put these on 460s is being met with your setup somehow.

I agree on checking the vent but I just wanted to mention that the 460s (I believe only them) had a gas tank cap that has two levels of tabs. The cap also has a pressure warning on it. With the two levels of tabs and pressure it would vent on the first twist but wouldn't blow the cap off.

I could see the 460s having more vacuum but not sure why they'd have more pressure (Bill?) than any other carbed config.

Reason for mentioning it is (if the vent is clear) maybe the conditions that prompted Ford to put these on 460s is being met with your setup somehow.

The hot fuel handling package did essentially what an EFI system does, hot fuel from the engine compartment is returned to the in-use tank creating a fair amount of vapor pressure. Ever tried to find a locking gas cap for one of these?

The hot fuel handling package did essentially what an EFI system does, hot fuel from the engine compartment is returned to the in-use tank creating a fair amount of vapor pressure. Ever tried to find a locking gas cap for one of these?

Perhaps my roll over valve is too sensitive and shuts when the fuel heats up. Maybe I could gut it and buy an aftermarket remote unit to install at the end of the hose. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

We just had our first 90 degree day here in Georgia and I drove the truck about 110 miles. Went to get gas and the cap nearly came out of my hand when the tank vented. I've had the truck for several years, even drove across country and this has never happened. However, this IS the first hot weather day since installing Holley FI. I thought the roll-over valve would have kept the tank vented for small pressure changes.

Interested to see what you find out. I have a '82 that I planned on keeping the OE vapor canister system but if it ends up being a difference be nice to know so I can make the changes then vs waiting till later on.

Interested to see what you find out. I have a '82 that I planned on keeping the OE vapor canister system but if it ends up being a difference be nice to know so I can make the changes then vs waiting till later on.

As of today I haven't had any more issues. Perhaps the fuel sloshed around perfectly enough to cause the rollover valve to shut and it stayed that way until I removed the fuel cap.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Getting a little over 13 MPG at 70 mph by the way.

Thank you for the replies.

As of today I haven't had any more issues. Perhaps the fuel sloshed around perfectly enough to cause the rollover valve to shut and it stayed that way until I removed the fuel cap.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Getting a little over 13 MPG at 70 mph by the way.

Thank you for the replies.

Good deal! But 13 MPG @ 70 is nothing to write home about. Do you have more tuning to do?