Bullnose Forums

ignition switch and turn signal harness considerations - Randy's Blue

One of the first things I ordered was the turn signal harness. My lever is so worn it's self cancelling. Won't hold in place at all. I looked at the Dorman cam and videos and decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze on that deal. SO I ordered the whole harness. Figure that's the RIGHT thing to do - has the hazard switch and everything. What's the light bulb? To light up the ignition switch?

Also this morning, figured that while I was in there, may as well get a new ignition switch (can you say PROJECT CREEP?). What else is in there while I have it down that far?

What am I going to run into? The ignition switch works, but like anything else original to truck, it's operation is generally sloppy. Figure I can get the column all fixed on while I'm there. I assume the shrouds come off from bottom and I don't want to remove column, so this will be all top side fixes.

"What's the light bulb?"

I will guess that the "light bulb" is used for vans.

Agreed. I've always thought those on column illuminated indicators are a neat touch.

Can't think of anything else on the column that would be worth replacing if it's working correctly now.

To replace the ignition switch, you'll have to at least lower the column far enough to access it (it's on the top of the column under the dash. Removing the column completely will make things easier and it isn't that complicated. Unless you mean the lock cylinder which can be changed without lowering the column.

LD

Have you found the instructions on how to adjust the ignition switch? Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Switch tab.

Gary said "Have you found the instructions on how to adjust the ignition switch? Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Switch tab."

I have now - I was looking at a different posting and saw the reference but didn't find the one you just referred to.. I'll read over it.

I am just replacing the lock cylinder - truck starts easily other then the slop in the lock cylinder. Dang, you guys are precise and thorough. Thanks for that though.

Gary said "Have you found the instructions on how to adjust the ignition switch? Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Switch tab."

I have now - I was looking at a different posting and saw the reference but didn't find the one you just referred to.. I'll read over it.

I am just replacing the lock cylinder - truck starts easily other then the slop in the lock cylinder. Dang, you guys are precise and thorough. Thanks for that though.

The lock cylinder should pull out easy enough but if it does get stuck fast after coming out only a small fraction of an inch, try reaching up under the dash to grab hold of the rod that connects to the ignition switch and wiggle it back and forth while pulling on the cylinder.

Cheers!

The lock cylinder should pull out easy enough but if it does get stuck fast after coming out only a small fraction of an inch, try reaching up under the dash to grab hold of the rod that connects to the ignition switch and wiggle it back and forth while pulling on the cylinder.

Cheers!

And just where they heck is that tidbit of information in all the instructions? That's I usually look for places like this or videos that show that part. The wiggling. Always something like that in every project. Thanks for the heads up.

And just where they heck is that tidbit of information in all the instructions? That's I usually look for places like this or videos that show that part. The wiggling. Always something like that in every project. Thanks for the heads up.

1979 was the last year to have a light bulb on the turn signal switch assembly. Either you received the wrong year, or you got a "Universal" (definition: fits nothing) switch that you have to figure out how to make work.

(Can you tell that I hate the aftermarket world??)