Bullnose Forums

Power Window/Door Switch Bezel Repair

I've been working on a new idea that I think could be useful.  The power window and door lock bezels for these trucks seem to almost always be broken.  The tabs that hold the switch into the bezel tend to crack and break off.  

I'm developing a new part that will repair these.  It's a 3d printed sleeve that will fit snugly over the back of the bezel and glue into place.  The sleeve has notches on either side that provide an anchor point for clips that will install over the back and hold the switch in place.  Importantly the sleeve will not be any larger than the bezel base so that it can still fit through the existing hole in the door panels. The sleeves would work on the two door lock bezels and the passengers side window switch bezel.  

I wanted to get some opinions on the viability before going any further.  Does this sound like something that would be helpful to you?  Got any other ideas or suggestions to make it work better?  I'm thinking that they would be sold in a set of three, what do you think would be a reasonable price?

Here are a couple of pictures of the initial design. 

IMG_20210317_095815213.thumb.jpg.bf15396cfed04657483816db34c4ab6c.jpg

IMG_20210317_095857756.thumb.jpg.eec9170f47bd15aa098953055275ea11.jpg

IMG_20210317_095940609.thumb.jpg.af52b6c9840420ad4a71462ea69b1225.jpg

:nabble_anim_claps: I think it's a great idea and I like how you implemented it. I know I've chucked a number of these at the jy after seeing the clips broken already.

So when installing with a door panel already installed on the truck you just angle it back and forth to get past the new white clip and then snap the factory metal clips to the panel as normal?

I like it! Like Scott, I've chucked a bunch of the switch bezels, and the fact that they break so easily was part of the decision not to put switches in Big Blue while adding door locks.

I don't remember exactly where they typically break as I don't have broken ones around, but your system takes care of that?

Price? I don't have a suggestion. What are you thinking?

I like it! Like Scott, I've chucked a bunch of the switch bezels, and the fact that they break so easily was part of the decision not to put switches in Big Blue while adding door locks.

I don't remember exactly where they typically break as I don't have broken ones around, but your system takes care of that?

I think I'd forgo the easy release tabs. Would make it easier to slide into the panel if already installed on the door and these won't be something anyone will be taking on and off often.

Oh, great!

I will need some for power windows and locks for my Bronco, watching with interest.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can:

So when installing with a door panel already installed on the truck you just angle it back and forth to get past the new white clip and then snap the factory metal clips to the panel as normal?

The bezel installs from the front just like before. The main attribute I'm designing the sleeve for is to fit through the same hole so the door panel does not need modification. And yes the factory metal clips still hold the bezel to the door panel. Then you would slide the switch with the wires attached in from the back side, put the new plastic clip in place and mount the door panel.

I got this idea when I had a full set of switches and bezels listed on eBay where one of the three bezels was unbroken. That set sold for well over $100. The buyer messaged me that he bought everything just to get the one unbroken bezel, and was very excited about it.

I was thinking $49 for a set that would fix the three bezels on a single truck. Well below the cost of unbroken bezels. Your thoughts?

I think I'd forgo the easy release tabs. Would make it easier to slide into the panel if already installed on the door and these won't be something anyone will be taking on and off often.

The quick release clip is really more of a particle solution. I'd use screws to hold it on, but there is not enough surface area to create a strong enough screw hole. I'd also considered making the sleeve larger and installed after bezel is already in the door panel. However this would permanently attach the bezel to the door panel which seems like it could create a whole new set of problems.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can:

The bezel installs from the front just like before. The main attribute I'm designing the sleeve for is to fit through the same hole so the door panel does not need modification. And yes the factory metal clips still hold the bezel to the door panel. Then you would slide the switch with the wires attached in from the back side, put the new plastic clip in place and mount the door panel.

I got this idea when I had a full set of switches and bezels listed on eBay where one of the three bezels was unbroken. That set sold for well over $100. The buyer messaged me that he bought everything just to get the one unbroken bezel, and was very excited about it.

I was thinking $49 for a set that would fix the three bezels on a single truck. Well below the cost of unbroken bezels. Your thoughts?

The quick release clip is really more of a particle solution. I'd use screws to hold it on, but there is not enough surface area to create a strong enough screw hole. I'd also considered making the sleeve larger and installed after bezel is already in the door panel. However this would permanently attach the bezel to the door panel which seems like it could create a whole new set of problems.

If I were dealing with broken bezels I'd pay $50 easily for a set of three. But some trucks came with just locks or windows. Will you sell smaller sets? (I don't need them, but am just asking.)

No, I like the clip itself. I was just referring to the finger tab that allows you to pop the clip off. It's a minor thing and wouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone ever. Just thinking it isn't really needed. Maybe in-hand, it is though.