Bullnose Forums

Rag joints..

Ah, sorry. I caused confusion. The rag joint is also shot in the F150.

For the Bronco I put the borgeson in, but for my truck I was hoping to replace the rag joint as it is way cheaper!

I looks that for all 1980 models and 1981 models until a 2/81 build date that the rag joint was a separate part and could be replaced. But, as of 2/81 it became part of the lower steering shaft - 3B676.

3A525.thumb.jpg.997fcd47941404c0e565e70717c0466f.jpg

So, since yours is an '82 it should not have a replaceable rag joint. Here's a pic of the one on Dad's lower steering shaft:

Dads_Rag_Joint.thumb.jpg.9c6aac1ece28dd6eaf2ba419b03df5d4.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looks that for all 1980 models and 1981 models until a 2/81 build date that the rag joint was a separate part and could be replaced. But, as of 2/81 it became part of the lower steering shaft - 3B676.

Hey Gary, my '84 F150 (built in Dec '83) has the replaceable style rag joint. The steering shaft could have been changed I suppose, but everything else on the truck is original, so I assume the steering shaft is too?

Hey Gary, my '84 F150 (built in Dec '83) has the replaceable style rag joint. The steering shaft could have been changed I suppose, but everything else on the truck is original, so I assume the steering shaft is too?

This is a very confusing area/subject. You saw where the parts catalog shows that the replaceable rag joint went away as of 2/81. Here's a clip from the catalog showing that the lower shaft supposedly changed on 12/81:

Rag_Joint.thumb.jpg.38e486587df1de82437db3ed2bf7e6cb.jpg

So, which was it? Did someone drop the "1" from "12", making it 2/81? But, even so, that wouldn't account for a 12/83 build having a replaceable one.

Can you post of pic of your rag joint and shaft? Maybe we can figure it out. (But I'm not going to hold my breath.)

Can you post of pic of your rag joint and shaft? Maybe we can figure it out. (But I'm not going to hold my breath.)

Mine could have been changed at some point, but unless it was under some recall 30 years ago, I'm guessing that it was not. The truck only has 35k miles on it, and everything on it seems to be original except for the water pump, fuel pump, spark plugs, and muffler. My truck doesn't appear to have had any parts changed unless they outright failed...lol.

IMG_4495.jpg.da071718dc00ee25e4d928505f9b20c7.jpg

This is a very confusing area/subject. You saw where the parts catalog shows that the replaceable rag joint went away as of 2/81. Here's a clip from the catalog showing that the lower shaft supposedly changed on 12/81:

So, which was it? Did someone drop the "1" from "12", making it 2/81? But, even so, that wouldn't account for a 12/83 build having a replaceable one.

The more I thought about this, I thought maybe mine was changed. Perhaps somebody did cut the old rivets off or drilled them out and installed a new joint.

The more I thought about this, I thought maybe mine was changed. Perhaps somebody did cut the old rivets off or drilled them out and installed a new joint.

I don't know. Would they have put an earlier style on? Yours looks exactly like Dad's. Here's another shot of his, turned upside down to match yours, and they look identical. Right?

Dads_Rag_Joint_2.thumb.jpg.0945d58f632db70626c3d58bbfb9e4c1.jpg

I don't know. Would they have put an earlier style on? Yours looks exactly like Dad's. Here's another shot of his, turned upside down to match yours, and they look identical. Right?

Earlier style, or aftermarket replacement, either way, they're bolt on. Mine looks identical to yours, same lock nuts and all.

I know Rock Auto shows a replacement for my 1984. Either the whole joint, or just the rubber element.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1984,f-150,5.0l+302cid+v8,1121443,steering,steering+coupling+assembly,7418