Bullnose Forums

Rag joints..

I know the later trucks, 1992 up with the stub column have universals, one at each end of the intermediate shaft.

That's exactly what Big Blue has. I don't know if it is original as Vernon had a lot of steering work done, so probably not.

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a strange, confusing area. I know Big Blue has a lower shaft w/o a rag joint. But it may be a replacement.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I wanted to add a point here. I just pulled my steering box and figured I would replace my rag joint since I'm in there. I pulled the shaft out and have found that the rag joint is riveted in. I'm assuming that I can grind off the rivets and install the replacement with the nuts and bolts that it comes with?

The replacement that I have is a Lares 204

I just want to make sure I can do this or if I have to order something different. The more I look at it compared to other pictures in the this post the more I don't think that's possible and I should look for a different steering shaft.

Here's what my rag joint looks like.

IMG_20221121_142953.jpg.77804cf4909d6657178f82cd23f81dcf.jpg

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I wanted to add a point here. I just pulled my steering box and figured I would replace my rag joint since I'm in there. I pulled the shaft out and have found that the rag joint is riveted in. I'm assuming that I can grind off the rivets and install the replacement with the nuts and bolts that it comes with?

The replacement that I have is a Lares 204

I just want to make sure I can do this or if I have to order something different. The more I look at it compared to other pictures in the this post the more I don't think that's possible and I should look for a different steering shaft.

Here's what my rag joint looks like.

the simplest answer i can give is to source a steering sector from an 87-89. it bolts in exactly the same but has the universal joint at the top instead of the older shrouded style and it also has a better version of the isolator (rag joint) the earlier rag joints were practically just that. like they were cut out of the sidewall of a tire. i believe the same can be said through 91 but i only have an 89 in front of me to verify.

the simplest answer i can give is to source a steering sector from an 87-89. it bolts in exactly the same but has the universal joint at the top instead of the older shrouded style and it also has a better version of the isolator (rag joint) the earlier rag joints were practically just that. like they were cut out of the sidewall of a tire. i believe the same can be said through 91 but i only have an 89 in front of me to verify.

I'll try and swing by my local pick and pull sometime this week then. They don't have a lot of stock for those years a couple trucks per yard so hopefully I can find something.