Bullnose Forums

Rag joints..

As I am installing my new steering column I realized the rag joint by the steering box has a ton of play in it.

When I pulled what I think is called the “intermediate shaft” out, I can’t see how the rag joint comes apart.. can some one help me understand how to tackle this please!

image358.jpg.5ea1bc935ac7ea85fad5fa71a27935de.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, the coupling has a ton of play in it and I am trying to work out how to disassemble it and refurbish...

There's nothing to refurbish in the rag joint, only replace. Toss the old one in the garbage, and install a new one. There are two studs/nuts on the back of the rag joint that attach it to the steering shaft. I'm going to buy a new one myself soon for when I reassemble (and reattach) my steering column. I think they're only about $20...or at least I thought they were. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I just checked Rockauto, and it looks like you can buy just the rubber element and four bolts, but you'd have to drill the old rivets out, and that might be a pain. It's the same cost as a complete joint listed below it.

Hmmm, the coupling has a ton of play in it and I am trying to work out how to disassemble it and refurbish...

There's nothing to refurbish in the rag joint, only replace. Toss the old one in the garbage, and install a new one. There are two studs/nuts on the back of the rag joint that attach it to the steering shaft. I'm going to buy a new one myself soon for when I reassemble (and reattach) my steering column. I think they're only about $20...or at least I thought they were. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I just checked Rockauto, and it looks like you can buy just the rubber element and four bolts, but you'd have to drill the old rivets out, and that might be a pain. It's the same cost as a complete joint listed below it.

I agree - replace it. Those are a known slop issue and an easy fix.

Here is my problem. I am looking at the joint and I have no idea how to take it apart... do I have to cut the heads off the studs and bang them out?

I got lost. I thought you replaced the rag joint with a Borgeson one. Doesn't it have the rag joint? What am I missing?

I got lost. I thought you replaced the rag joint with a Borgeson one. Doesn't it have the rag joint? What am I missing?

Ah, sorry. I caused confusion. The rag joint is also shot in the F150.

For the Bronco I put the borgeson in, but for my truck I was hoping to replace the rag joint as it is way cheaper!

Ah, sorry. I caused confusion. The rag joint is also shot in the F150.

For the Bronco I put the borgeson in, but for my truck I was hoping to replace the rag joint as it is way cheaper!

Sorry, I missed this. Let me take a look at one of my rag joints and get back with you later today.

Sorry, I missed this. Let me take a look at one of my rag joints and get back with you later today.

Will one from a 1968 Mustang help anyone? I ended up with it left over after I had to essentially make a column from two for the Chevstang.