Bullnose Forums

C6 Service

mp470

I had already started the engine at that point for the hot check, will do it next time.

Took it out for a highway cruise, runs like a clock as usual, shifts perfectly. It's incredible that this 33-year old vehicle has perfectly working cruise control.

Only complaint is the low oil pressure at hot idle but not much to be done about that, will throw some Rislone in it and hope for the best. Crankcase pressure is high, blow-by to the airbox and out the PCV valve hose etc. I wish I had the time, money and place to really dedicate to rebuilding the engine, body etc. For now, it's just a camping truck for 1-2 seasons of the year.

Be careful with the Rislone. In my experience it thins oil and cleans things. So, I'm not sure I'd use it for low oil pressure. Nor on an engine that might be really dirty inside - assuming the transmission's lack of maintenance is any indication.

David/1986F150Six had an instance last fall where his clean oil over the years stripped the sludge out of the engine and partially plugged the oil pump's pickup screen. So you want to go slowly on the cleanup.

Be careful with the Rislone. In my experience it thins oil and cleans things. So, I'm not sure I'd use it for low oil pressure. Nor on an engine that might be really dirty inside - assuming the transmission's lack of maintenance is any indication.

David/1986F150Six had an instance last fall where his clean oil over the years stripped the sludge out of the engine and partially plugged the oil pump's pickup screen. So you want to go slowly on the cleanup.

Apparently, the displaced sludge was lurking somewhere and when the fuel pump started leaking internally, the gasoline caused the sludge to break loose and as I drove, the sludge blocked the pickup screen for the oil pump.

You're probably right, I may just skip it and keep feeding it the good Castrol 10w30 high mileage.