Bullnose Forums

Speed run

I got new tires on feets and took him out for a speed run. On flat ground he tops out at 85, according to Waze. I hit 90 on a short downhill. At full throttle top speed there was minor bucking and at normal highway speeds I get 11MPG. It's the two barrel 351 with feedback carb and all emissions controls in place and functioning except the Air pump. Is this typical performance?

Thanks,

Mark

I got new tires on feets and took him out for a speed run. On flat ground he tops out at 85, according to Waze. I hit 90 on a short downhill. At full throttle top speed there was minor bucking and at normal highway speeds I get 11MPG. It's the two barrel 351 with feedback carb and all emissions controls in place and functioning except the Air pump. Is this typical performance?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

What transmission, rear end gears, and tire size? What RPM were you running?

That speed seems about right to me. I know my little 2wd Flareside will do 90, but it has very long legs with a 5spd and 3.08 gears.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

What transmission, rear end gears, and tire size? What RPM were you running?

That speed seems about right to me. I know my little 2wd Flareside will do 90, but it has very long legs with a 5spd and 3.08 gears.

It's got a 4spd (T19 I think) with granny gear, I don't remember the axle ratios, tires are 215/75 15, and if I remember correctly it runs 3000 at 73mph.

Mark

Cory, is the top speed in 4th?

I would need to turn on the GPS and see how far it goes past the speedo and of course without getting a ticket! Mine is a 83 F100 with the 5.0, AOD and 3.55's and 215/75/15 tires. I cruise daily between 75 to 85 on flat and hilly terrain and it has plenty of pedal to go. 75mph is just about 2250rpms. I would guestimate low triple digits wouldnt be that hard.

I would need to turn on the GPS and see how far it goes past the speedo and of course without getting a ticket! Mine is a 83 F100 with the 5.0, AOD and 3.55's and 215/75/15 tires. I cruise daily between 75 to 85 on flat and hilly terrain and it has plenty of pedal to go. 75mph is just about 2250rpms. I would guestimate low triple digits wouldnt be that hard.

Gave it a short burst today and kept her in overdrive. Pulled off 95 at a little over 3k rpms with plenty to go. Traffic kept me from giving her it all, but low triples should be easy. Guess it all depends on gearing and transmission choice.

Screenshot_20210310-150442_Speedometer.jpg.6339c54ec1158c9c4c2b3e7a5356c482.jpg

Gave it a short burst today and kept her in overdrive. Pulled off 95 at a little over 3k rpms with plenty to go. Traffic kept me from giving her it all, but low triples should be easy. Guess it all depends on gearing and transmission choice.

Surprised you didn’t have trim and panels flying off!

Poor thing, probably scared it to death! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Back when I had my '85 F-250HD (351, NP435 4 speed, 3.55 gears, LT255/85R-16 tires) The one time I tried to top it out was between 90-95 MPH. But that was in 4WD on a snow covered somewhat winding 2 lane in the UP of Michigan at 2:00 in the morning :nabble_smiley_oh: It likely would've gone faster under better circumstances. (I was MUCH younger then :nabble_smiley_blush:)