Bullnose Forums

Where to buy: Charcoal Vinyl Dye/Paint

Didn't know who made such. I'm a noob to vinyl dying/painting.

The glovebox latch center needs colored too... it was an an ebay used replacement, likely off a chevy (same part, though).

Your interior appears to be the same color as mine, which is Med Grey. Can't remember the code for it though. Interestingly, I was thinking this gray was first used in 86.

Your glove box latch should be painted black. I need to repaint mine as well.

As for a pic:

The glovebox latch center needs colored too... it was an an ebay used replacement, likely off a chevy (same part, though).

Mom ordered all the door R&R parts :nabble_anim_jump:

Doing my own research... as late as 2016 SEM has the "4001 Charcoal/Oxford" listed color lists.

Funny enough, I've heard suspicions this of all things will do it:

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39153-Charcoal-Bumper-Aerosol/dp/B000HAYWNO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Which would ironically make sense... the bumpers on my former Escape were indeed a similar color.

The color swatch on vinylpro is wrong... looking elsewhere, it *isn't* green.

Looking elsewhere though, it looks too dark (like an actual charcoal)... and not blue enough. Maybe a match for NEW parts... Ugh IDK here.

Mom ordered all the door R&R parts :nabble_anim_jump:

Doing my own research... as late as 2016 SEM has the "4001 Charcoal/Oxford" listed color lists.

Funny enough, I've heard suspicions this of all things will do it:

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39153-Charcoal-Bumper-Aerosol/dp/B000HAYWNO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Which would ironically make sense... the bumpers on my former Escape were indeed a similar color.

The color swatch on vinylpro is wrong... looking elsewhere, it *isn't* green.

Looking elsewhere though, it looks too dark (like an actual charcoal)... and not blue enough. Maybe a match for NEW parts... Ugh IDK here.

If you figure out what is the right code please let me know so I can update the spreadsheet.

Your interior appears to be the same color as mine, which is Med Grey. Can't remember the code for it though. Interestingly, I was thinking this gray was first used in 86.

It's not supposed to be color matched to the rest of the glovebox?

If you figure out what is the right code please let me know so I can update the spreadsheet.

Here is the chart from 2016:

CC_MASTER_Sept_2016.pdf

Found that through a google search... this is the list of "recipes" for the various colors they "offer"

Oxford gray is listed as 4060 with a much simpler recipe... different paint codes shown too.

Found another "charcoal" ford listing as 3038... and more after. will keep digging to see if any other "possible" codes show up. Edit-4109 and 5792 are also "charcoal" colors listed for Ford. Ugh... clear as mud.

It's not supposed to be color matched to the rest of the glovebox?

Mine is black and I think the buttons to open are chrome. Let me verify that tonight.

As we seem to have the same color interior, I'll be real curious to see what you come up with in color matching. I know Vinyl Pro can match my interior but again, it's not cheap.

Mine is black and I think the buttons to open are chrome. Let me verify that tonight.

As we seem to have the same color interior, I'll be real curious to see what you come up with in color matching. I know Vinyl Pro can match my interior but again, it's not cheap.

On the bumper coater: found the "official" color chart for the product:

BumperCoaterTrimPaintsPrimers_0518_web.pdf

I'll take a closer look in the morning. Looking at the armrest, this looks like a viable match... it's also dark. The hard plastics of the interior faded more (duh), hence why it seemed too light.

No help for the spruce interiors, but for us with gray, there's hope...

On the bumper coater: found the "official" color chart for the product:

BumperCoaterTrimPaintsPrimers_0518_web.pdf

I'll take a closer look in the morning. Looking at the armrest, this looks like a viable match... it's also dark. The hard plastics of the interior faded more (duh), hence why it seemed too light.

No help for the spruce interiors, but for us with gray, there's hope...

Took some pics of interior areas that aren't as faded, and tried to make a comparison to the SEM swatch in the PDF:

BumperCoater_39153.png.98c2dc63317d6e6ba7af8c7bc33538ad.png

IMG_20210309_231802.thumb.jpg.52f3bce2c7df9d7aff00d644597410ea.jpg

IMG_20210309_231830.thumb.jpg.75df7d41b44822f71c6b21158b5c22df.jpg

IMG_20210309_231915.thumb.jpg.3f0a9df3d5cecd6ffb82dd01584718f8.jpg

GIMP file for the comparison, in case somebody wants to try other swatches:

BumperCoater_39153.xcf

Hard to say... doesn't quite match, but SEM also said paint chips might vary... I've read of 85-86 mustangs getting repainted interiors with such, which is why I thought it could work. At $23 a can though... to gamble, or not gamble is the question. My concern is that I'm painting over black for the new parts, so it won't get any lighter... Then again, looks like none of the non-mating parts match, so since I'm doing arm rests and door panels (for now), may be OK? This isn't a museum piece...

Thoughts?

Took some pics of interior areas that aren't as faded, and tried to make a comparison to the SEM swatch in the PDF:

GIMP file for the comparison, in case somebody wants to try other swatches:

BumperCoater_39153.xcf

Hard to say... doesn't quite match, but SEM also said paint chips might vary... I've read of 85-86 mustangs getting repainted interiors with such, which is why I thought it could work. At $23 a can though... to gamble, or not gamble is the question. My concern is that I'm painting over black for the new parts, so it won't get any lighter... Then again, looks like none of the non-mating parts match, so since I'm doing arm rests and door panels (for now), may be OK? This isn't a museum piece...

Thoughts?

In my experience the color you get doesn't match the swatch on a card. And trying to match things in pictures taken in differing light is futile.

Towards the latter, here are two shots taken with the same camera in different light. That's the same door panel. So I'd never try to match via pictures.

After_Door_Panel.thumb.jpg.1da46da58424ab7f1548805e4ccb6519.jpgDoor_Panel_26_Kick_Panel.thumb.jpg.a7909fad79d69f0df863f8ce79aa0a27.jpg

In my experience the color you get doesn't match the swatch on a card. And trying to match things in pictures taken in differing light is futile.

Towards the latter, here are two shots taken with the same camera in different light. That's the same door panel. So I'd never try to match via pictures.

I know. I had to be a bit subjective in ID'ing where to pick the color from.

I'm just trying to avoid blowing $23 on possibly bad paint...