Bullnose Forums

The sad tale of Farm Truck the 444 IDI

Farm Truck was a great find. A 1989 with only 104k on it, straight body and bed, great running, just a long crank start to resolve (we fixed air leaks) and broken pickup tube in the front tank. XLT Lariat with everything working and no cracks in the interior. We rewired a 3G alternator in there last year. He was a fave for the womenfolk to take on trips around our rural area. Freeway was not his forte what with a C6, no overdrive gear. We don't have any freeways around here but the speed limit is 70 on many Texas highways.

Farm Truck started consuming coolant a year ago, slowly. I kept my eye on that but I rarely drive him. I think I topped him up twice in a year. This week, white smoke was noted and a rough start. I contacted Accurate Diesel and planned Tim's kit of rebuilt injectors and return lines.

Then, he went no crank on Friday morning. I wasn't there so I had the kids put him on the charger. When I got home I discovered it was actually hydrolocked. It only took me two key twists to figure that out. And the coolant level is way down.

I believe it's the dreaded coolant jacket perforation into the combustion chamber. The Achilles heel that affects some percentage of 444 (7.3) IDIs due to off-center bore castings. The PO didn't use anti-cavitation coolant additive. I still plan to remove the glow plugs, turn it over by hand, and see what comes out. I can't think of another explanation except head gasket. But the 444 has sturdy head bolts.

Because we probably have to pull the motor, now is a good time for a ZF5. So I'm scouring for a parts truck with a good motor and tranny, and beat up body. I believe that stepping up to serpentine belt drive would be good too, so that makes it a 92 or later if I remember correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

IMG_20180628_194744__01.jpg.7dc4ce85b171c3558cabc3795e3e4c9a.jpg

Sorry to hear about the motor but wow, that body really does look great!

Yes, that's a bummer about the motor. But you will like a ZF5. Drop it into 5th and motor on down the road.

So, I hope you can find the right truck with a good engine and tranny and a shot body. Marry the two and you'll have it made. :nabble_smiley_good: