Bullnose Forums

Thoughts On Tonneau/Bed Covers?

I'm in the market for a tonneau cover for Big Blue, something lockable so when we are traveling we can put our suitcases back there without worries. And I'm hoping that someone out there knows more about it than I do, which won't be difficult.

I have a Retrax Pro on Blue and really like it. But on their site I can't find one for a Ford truck older than 1997. (If you put 1996 or earlier in you can only find GM trucks.) So, when did the beds change? Was it in '97?

I'm going to put it behind the toolbox, so it only needs to be 76 1/2" long, which should mean I can use one for a 6 3/4' bed. But if the beds changed.....

And later I hope to add a "roof top tent" to the truck, which will take a rack of some kind. But Retrax shows the picture below on their site for one of their high-end covers. But there is precious little info on their site, and I'm concerned about loading.

Anyway, maybe some of you know of other covers that are lockable and either have the ability to put other accessories on their tracks or have cutouts for the stake pockets?

Retrax_Tent.thumb.jpg.3892dd929107629ba88a5d1ebe45820c.jpg

I've done some research and am happy with what I'm finding.

First, the tent in the above pic looks to be a Yakima SkyRise Medium, Red. And they, Yakima, have several roof top tents available. What I don't yet know is how many of them will attach to the crossbars, nor how much weight the crossbars can handle.

Next, Leer makes a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit With Explorer Series Rails tonneau. And, they have one to fit our trucks, both with an 80" bed and a 96" bed. Plus, as the name implies, it comes with the rails that the crossbars go into.

So, I have a lot of investigation to do, with questions like:

• Can I go with a unit for an 80" bed and butt it up against my tool box instead of the bulkhead at the front of the bed?

• Will it work with my drop-in bed liner? (I suspect not as most clamp to the inside edge of the "gunnel" if you will, and the liner hides that.)

• How much weight can the crossbars carry? (One of the Yakima tents is capable of handling 600 lbs, so can the crossbars carry that?)

I have a lot to learn about this, but I'm happy to find that there are tonneaus that have tracks. So I could go with a tonneau now and add the crossbars and roof top tent later - if I get to go overlanding with my son. (Or grandkids????)

I've done some research and am happy with what I'm finding.

First, the tent in the above pic looks to be a Yakima SkyRise Medium, Red. And they, Yakima, have several roof top tents available. What I don't yet know is how many of them will attach to the crossbars, nor how much weight the crossbars can handle.

Next, Leer makes a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit With Explorer Series Rails tonneau. And, they have one to fit our trucks, both with an 80" bed and a 96" bed. Plus, as the name implies, it comes with the rails that the crossbars go into.

So, I have a lot of investigation to do, with questions like:

• Can I go with a unit for an 80" bed and butt it up against my tool box instead of the bulkhead at the front of the bed?

• Will it work with my drop-in bed liner? (I suspect not as most clamp to the inside edge of the "gunnel" if you will, and the liner hides that.)

• How much weight can the crossbars carry? (One of the Yakima tents is capable of handling 600 lbs, so can the crossbars carry that?)

I have a lot to learn about this, but I'm happy to find that there are tonneaus that have tracks. So I could go with a tonneau now and add the crossbars and roof top tent later - if I get to go overlanding with my son. (Or grandkids????)

I don't know what the rails or crossbars are rated for, but the manufacturer(s) should be able to tell you that.

One thing I've heard about those type of things is that they have two different weight ratings, dynamic (how mich weight they can carry when you are bouncing around on a road or trail) and static (how much they can support while you're stopped in camp. Obviously the static rating is much higher, so don't pavic if you see a weight rating of only something like 300 - 400 lbs.

Not sure I can help with much else you asked (as if I helped there!). In the first post you were asking about when beds changed. Ford or GM? I'm thinking you know that Ford beds changed in '97 on the F-150 and F-250, and in '99 (there was no '98) on the F-250HD and F-350. The GM bed was (I think) identical to the pre'97 Ford bed up to some year. I'm thinking you're asking that, and I don't know that answer. But I'm thinking it's in the mid- to late-'80s that GM went "modern."

I don't know what the rails or crossbars are rated for, but the manufacturer(s) should be able to tell you that.

One thing I've heard about those type of things is that they have two different weight ratings, dynamic (how mich weight they can carry when you are bouncing around on a road or trail) and static (how much they can support while you're stopped in camp. Obviously the static rating is much higher, so don't pavic if you see a weight rating of only something like 300 - 400 lbs.

Not sure I can help with much else you asked (as if I helped there!). In the first post you were asking about when beds changed. Ford or GM? I'm thinking you know that Ford beds changed in '97 on the F-150 and F-250, and in '99 (there was no '98) on the F-250HD and F-350. The GM bed was (I think) identical to the pre'97 Ford bed up to some year. I'm thinking you're asking that, and I don't know that answer. But I'm thinking it's in the mid- to late-'80s that GM went "modern."

Bob - Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am finding two different ratings. But what is confusing is that there are just two ratings. For instance, Yakima says their OverHaul HD Tonneau Set will "Carry up to 300 lbs. of gear on-road and up to 180 lbs. off-road." That seems to work as their Skyrise Medium tent weighs 115 lbs, and you might have a few accessories, like pillows, blankets, sheets, etc in there.

But so far nothing says how much weight the supports can take when sitting still. One of the Yakima RTTs can handle 3 people and 600 lbs. But can the supports?

This is a whole new world to me. It appears that I can get a tonneau with tracks and later add the right bits and pieces to have a RTT - assuming that I get someone to go with me. But there are soooooo many details on the RTT and supports to be worked out that it gets confusing.

Here's one: Yakima's OverHaul HD Tonneau Set says "Specifically designed to fit Retrax XR series, Pace-Edwards (except 2004+ Ford F-150), and Ford Embark LS tonneau covers". And I'm looking at the Pace-Edwards. But on the Yakima page it says "Does not fit your 1985 Ford Pickup, Full Size Std. Cab." :nabble_anim_crazy:

I would think that if you have a Pace-Edwards with the tracks then it'll fit, regardless of what truck you have. Doesn't that make sense?

As for the bed, I was asking about Fords. And I had forgotten that '97 was the change. So apparently Retrax hasn't addressed the earlier beds.

My plan for tomorrow, among other things, is to call Retrax and confirm that. And call Leer re the Pace-Edwards and confirm my expectation that I can mount their box against the toolbox. And ask about the drop-in liner. Then I may call Yakima and find out why their system won't fit my truck.

Bob - Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am finding two different ratings. But what is confusing is that there are just two ratings. For instance, Yakima says their OverHaul HD Tonneau Set will "Carry up to 300 lbs. of gear on-road and up to 180 lbs. off-road." That seems to work as their Skyrise Medium tent weighs 115 lbs, and you might have a few accessories, like pillows, blankets, sheets, etc in there.

But so far nothing says how much weight the supports can take when sitting still. One of the Yakima RTTs can handle 3 people and 600 lbs. But can the supports?

This is a whole new world to me. It appears that I can get a tonneau with tracks and later add the right bits and pieces to have a RTT - assuming that I get someone to go with me. But there are soooooo many details on the RTT and supports to be worked out that it gets confusing.

Here's one: Yakima's OverHaul HD Tonneau Set says "Specifically designed to fit Retrax XR series, Pace-Edwards (except 2004+ Ford F-150), and Ford Embark LS tonneau covers". And I'm looking at the Pace-Edwards. But on the Yakima page it says "Does not fit your 1985 Ford Pickup, Full Size Std. Cab." :nabble_anim_crazy:

I would think that if you have a Pace-Edwards with the tracks then it'll fit, regardless of what truck you have. Doesn't that make sense?

As for the bed, I was asking about Fords. And I had forgotten that '97 was the change. So apparently Retrax hasn't addressed the earlier beds.

My plan for tomorrow, among other things, is to call Retrax and confirm that. And call Leer re the Pace-Edwards and confirm my expectation that I can mount their box against the toolbox. And ask about the drop-in liner. Then I may call Yakima and find out why their system won't fit my truck.

I'm going to ask Alan/Blacktop to tell us about his roof top tent, his Unistrut rails, and his plans for a rack. Perhaps that will help with my thinking?

I'm going to ask Alan/Blacktop to tell us about his roof top tent, his Unistrut rails, and his plans for a rack. Perhaps that will help with my thinking?

Hi Gary, unfortunately I am hoping to shortly move house so my roof top tent is in storage and unaccesible.

I dont have any photos of the tent erected but it is the same as any other rtt so you get the idea.

I mounted unistrut rails on the underside of the upper edges of the truck bed. Then using brackets I mounted two more rails across the truck bed The rtt was then mounted to them.

As soon as I can I will get some detail photos but it wont be for a while I'm afraid.

20200730_170039.jpg.2e1c353e5dc231ed64c452b189a01f08.jpg

20200730_165548.jpg.041fb50f35d072b4a8608fc8d5517c97.jpg

Hi Gary, unfortunately I am hoping to shortly move house so my roof top tent is in storage and unaccesible.

I dont have any photos of the tent erected but it is the same as any other rtt so you get the idea.

I mounted unistrut rails on the underside of the upper edges of the truck bed. Then using brackets I mounted two more rails across the truck bed The rtt was then mounted to them.

As soon as I can I will get some detail photos but it wont be for a while I'm afraid.

20200730_170056.jpg.3aabf31bc6f403b9545c6bbf68de395d.jpg

20200730_165515.jpg.cf5fb710a28f2dde769d720402fc8974.jpg

Alan - Thanks for the info. Don't worry about getting the detailed pics as I hope to go another way. I hope to use the t-slots now available on some of the tonneaus that will let me use commercially-available racks.

Here's a pic of one version, but this wouldn't be adequate for a RTT. However, it does show the Pace Edwards Explorer rail system and states it works with Thule & Yakima.

Explorer_Series_Rails.thumb.jpg.1f28552324d14e878a8e7ac40baa5cd7.jpg

Well since this thread is titled "Thoughts..." Ill throw my two cents.

I like the plan of bed cover and RTT but I think once you have this combo and start overlanding (or even just cruising around), you might want a pull out storage system because youre bed will be hard to access.

Well since this thread is titled "Thoughts..." Ill throw my two cents.

I like the plan of bed cover and RTT but I think once you have this combo and start overlanding (or even just cruising around), you might want a pull out storage system because youre bed will be hard to access.

You may be right. But the beauty of this approach is that if overlanding never happens, and there is a good chance it won't, then I don't need to buy the rack, the RTT, nor the storage system.

Having said that, my son loves the idea of a pull-out storage system, so maybe I can entice him to go with me if we add one of those to the truck. It'll have to be fairly low 'cause right now the large spare tire would ride on top of it. But, if I ever get the bumper/tire storage thing built it would go back there.

Anyway, I like the idea that I can buy something now to which I can add on to later.