Bullnose Forums

Help On The Show Planning

2 stickies - that'll work. :nabble_smiley_good: Thanks.

As for things on my plate, I can't even find the plate! :nabble_anim_crazy:

Got the banners, arrow signs, and ballots yesterday. The banners are 3' x 8' and should be easy to see. The arrows will point to the entrance, which is around the corner. I think this thing may actually happen! :nabble_anim_jump:

Banner_and_Arrows.thumb.jpg.b9822b7335752e25431a3661bd6950c0.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan - I thought you were supposed to be driving now. :nabble_smiley_oh:

The first leg of the trip was the shorter one. I left at noon after I slept in to reverse my night schedule, then walked the dog, fed the iguana, the cats and the fish... (biologists! 🙄). That put me at my sister's house at 8pm New Mexico time. Tomorrow is the longer leg, I will be up before the sun and no zoo to take care of!

Jonathan - I thought you were supposed to be driving now. :nabble_smiley_oh:

The first leg of the trip was the shorter one. I left at noon after I slept in to reverse my night schedule, then walked the dog, fed the iguana, the cats and the fish... (biologists! 🙄). That put me at my sister's house at 8pm New Mexico time. Tomorrow is the longer leg, I will be up before the sun and no zoo to take care of!

Drive safely and we will see you this afternoon. 👍

David and Natalie were to make it to west of Memphis last night, but were running late due to some defugalties, as Dad would have said, but I'll let David explain tonight.

Tim is on the road and also should be here this evening.

As for gypsies Bill and Chris, they've been wandering all over Oklahoma finding closed up Ford dealerships. They even found one in Ponca City where we lived for 12 years - and didn't know it existed. I've driven past it many times and never noticed the Ford script in the windows. Anyway, they should be here this afternoon as well. Let the party begin!

Drive safely and we will see you this afternoon. 👍

David and Natalie were to make it to west of Memphis last night, but were running late due to some defugalties, as Dad would have said, but I'll let David explain tonight.

Tim is on the road and also should be here this evening.

As for gypsies Bill and Chris, they've been wandering all over Oklahoma finding closed up Ford dealerships. They even found one in Ponca City where we lived for 12 years - and didn't know it existed. I've driven past it many times and never noticed the Ford script in the windows. Anyway, they should be here this afternoon as well. Let the party begin!

Well, the 2017 Garagemahal Ford Truck Show is history. :nabble_anim_claps:. As explained in the Picture Gallery post, we had 15 trucks and 48 ballots turned in, which means we had a good number of visitors.

Things went pretty much as planned, but there's always room for improvement, so I've polled a number of people who were there and got the following. But if anyone has further suggestions let's get them recorded here for next year's show.

• Advertise in some of the publications, like Hemmings and some of the for-sale ones, which have some free sections.

• Advertise in the for-sale on-line things, like Brandon did, but earlier.

• Advertise on more of the Facebook groups, like FTE and Big Block if the allow it.

• Have several people, with very visible vests or t-shirts w/a Garagemahal show logo on them, registering trucks, showing people where to park, handing out ballot blanks, etc.

• Shade! An awning with chairs and maybe with a fan and a mister. A place to gather and talk.

• Bring at least some of the food/drink sales outside, like the drinks. Under an awning.

• Get it more organized, or more organized looking. Perhaps put trucks around the outside rather than hodgepodge in the center. And put the trucks that are expected to be there for the whole of the show close to the street so people driving by can see them.

• Have a Registrar that signs people in. S/he would have a vest/t-shirt and be "official", and would have the vehicles that weren't for show park in the West lot.

• Make it 10 to 2, not 4!

• Have a layout board showing where things are

• Use colored cones designating areas for eras of trucks

• Have a megaphone to get people's attention for things, like the trophy presentations

• Take more pictures, especially of the trucks. Probably ought to have a designated photographer for that.

Well, the 2017 Garagemahal Ford Truck Show is history. :nabble_anim_claps:. As explained in the Picture Gallery post, we had 15 trucks and 48 ballots turned in, which means we had a good number of visitors.

Things went pretty much as planned, but there's always room for improvement, so I've polled a number of people who were there and got the following. But if anyone has further suggestions let's get them recorded here for next year's show.

• Advertise in some of the publications, like Hemmings and some of the for-sale ones, which have some free sections.

• Advertise in the for-sale on-line things, like Brandon did, but earlier.

• Advertise on more of the Facebook groups, like FTE and Big Block if the allow it.

• Have several people, with very visible vests or t-shirts w/a Garagemahal show logo on them, registering trucks, showing people where to park, handing out ballot blanks, etc.

• Shade! An awning with chairs and maybe with a fan and a mister. A place to gather and talk.

• Bring at least some of the food/drink sales outside, like the drinks. Under an awning.

• Get it more organized, or more organized looking. Perhaps put trucks around the outside rather than hodgepodge in the center. And put the trucks that are expected to be there for the whole of the show close to the street so people driving by can see them.

• Have a Registrar that signs people in. S/he would have a vest/t-shirt and be "official", and would have the vehicles that weren't for show park in the West lot.

• Make it 10 to 2, not 4!

• Have a layout board showing where things are

• Use colored cones designating areas for eras of trucks

• Have a megaphone to get people's attention for things, like the trophy presentations

• Take more pictures, especially of the trucks. Probably ought to have a designated photographer for that.

Gary,

The thing that struck me as odd and is maybe a turnoff for some is your truck blocking the driveway entrance to the parking lot, THAT would turn me off if I were driving down the street and wanting to get in.

Yeah, I saw the arrow signs leading people around and through the breezeway, that just seemed really convoluted and inconvenient to me.

TMI had a nice setup with awnings and tables as did the welders, more stuff like that might help. Have you ever noticed how car dealers have balloons & colored flags & whatnot to make themselves visible? *hint* *hint*

Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times.

Places to sit would have been nice, especially in the shade... maybe a waitress giving out complimentary fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them would be cool, too. ;)

Gary,

The thing that struck me as odd and is maybe a turnoff for some is your truck blocking the driveway entrance to the parking lot, THAT would turn me off if I were driving down the street and wanting to get in.

Yeah, I saw the arrow signs leading people around and through the breezeway, that just seemed really convoluted and inconvenient to me.

TMI had a nice setup with awnings and tables as did the welders, more stuff like that might help. Have you ever noticed how car dealers have balloons & colored flags & whatnot to make themselves visible? *hint* *hint*

Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times.

Places to sit would have been nice, especially in the shade... maybe a waitress giving out complimentary fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them would be cool, too. ;)

"Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times."

For any of you who might wonder what this looked like, look to the right side of the photo [see attached link].

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n1782/IMG_5503.jpg

Gary,

Chris:

• That was a dry, but hot, day in Oklahoma's variable September weather. But next year we will order in a cooler, dryer day - just for you. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• On the layout of the parking lots, plural, and how to get in, to some extent it is a question of safety. If we have the casual observers driving into the lot where we have the "show" trucks, swap meet, and the "vendors" like Tim and Scott we could have some problems. However, if we had the right ropes or cones we could allow the public to come in and stay to the east, meaning the side that Scott's welders were on. But Scott was over there to stay away from the building while people were welding and cutting. And Tim was on the west side so he didn't have the afternoon sun coming under his awning. So we have some constraints, but can review the layout for next year's show.

• As for the balloons and colored flags, since we now have the banners and signs which will be reused for next year we could think about other things. It would be cool if a Ford dealership wanted to bring some things up to show, do some advertising, and bring the big ballons. So, I just opened up a dialog with Bill Knight Ford, which is where I bought my truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

• As for places to sit, awnings, mister, etc, that is already on the must do list. The fifth bullet above says "Shade! An awning with chairs and maybe with a fan and a mister. A place to gather and talk."

"Myself, I was overwhelmed by the humidity; my shirt was sticking to my body until I took it off, I had a really hard time with that but I'm a foreigner, I don't know how Jonathan was able to wear blue jeans like that. A garden hose with a sprayer would have been well-used by me - seriously, I would have done that, many times."

For any of you who might wonder what this looked like, look to the right side of the photo [see attached link].

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n1782/IMG_5503.jpg

I am just now finding these replies... boy, am I ugly & creepy-looking.

But it was really warm & somewhat agonizing, really muggy (but the 96% stuff I later encountered was lots worse).

Nevertheless it was fun and I'm glad it happened. :) My apologies for the display of suffering & agony. :nabble_smiley_sad:

• As for the balloons and colored flags, since we now have the banners and signs which will be reused for next year we could think about other things. It would be cool if a Ford dealership wanted to bring some things up to show, do some advertising, and bring the big ballons. So, I just opened up a dialog with Bill Knight Ford, which is where I bought my truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary,

Bill & I met with a Parts Manager over there named Jay Estes during our excursion, I have his business card. :nabble_smiley_happy: