Bullnose Forums

Home Made Battery Cables

Machspeed

Yep, I'd go like Jim suggested with two separate cables.

As far as size, this table says that is probably a #2 cable. Stranded wire is very difficult to measure and determine the size of because the # of strands makes a big difference. In fact, a #2 can go from .306" to .373" in diameter depending on the strands, and that is just from that chart. I'd be willing to bet the #2 I have been using has more than 36 strands, which would make it even larger in diameter. But it would still have the same current rating.

Further to my thinking about crimpers, the previous one I listed is overkill for what we are doing as it has die for very large wire. But TEMco has this smaller one: TEMCo Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper TH0006 V2.0 5 US TON 12 AWG to 00 (2/0) that is "only" $115. And it looks to be just the right size for what I do. Plus, its die are also AWG sized, like its big brother.

However, you need to be careful in the reviews on Amazon. In the case of both the TEMco crimpers they are advertising the V2.0 crimper, but most of the reviews are for the earlier version, which didn't have the AWG die. The 5 ton V2.0 says that it came out on Sept 1st, 2020, so any review prior to that, and maybe even after that, would have been for the old version.

Yep, and I've tried to pull them apart. They seem to be truly fused. And the insulation goes right up to the spot where they are fused, so there wasn't much heat.

I've been thinking about my 16-ton crimper, and I don't want people to think it is the best thing since sliced bread. It has worked for me, but I have always had the problem of it not crimping correctly, which I attributed to the die being sized for metric wire. To compensate I've been using the much thicker Magnalugs, but even then the die leave "wings" sticking out to the side.

Given that and the fact that my crimper is now failing I've been keeping my eyes open for a possible replacement. And I may have found one. It is called TEMCo Industrial Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper TH0005 V2.0, and while it is $140 it has AWG die instead of metric ones. In fact, it has 32 die sets from 10 gauge to 600 MCM, including half-steps between sizes so you fine tune your crimps.

And, on the TEMco site they say "Leading competitors flattened hex profile attempts to compensate for poor die to terminal fit. This under crimps and often leaves sharp “wings.” That seems to perfectly describe my die.

I'm not ready to buy, but I am saying that the run-of-the-mill Chinese crimpers don't have the right die. So if any of you know of other crimpers that appear to have the right die, meaning ones that are in AWG sizes, please let me know.

Nice find, i am liking what i see

Yep, and I've tried to pull them apart. They seem to be truly fused. And the insulation goes right up to the spot where they are fused, so there wasn't much heat.

I've been thinking about my 16-ton crimper, and I don't want people to think it is the best thing since sliced bread. It has worked for me, but I have always had the problem of it not crimping correctly, which I attributed to the die being sized for metric wire. To compensate I've been using the much thicker Magnalugs, but even then the die leave "wings" sticking out to the side.

Given that and the fact that my crimper is now failing I've been keeping my eyes open for a possible replacement. And I may have found one. It is called TEMCo Industrial Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper TH0005 V2.0, and while it is $140 it has AWG die instead of metric ones. In fact, it has 32 die sets from 10 gauge to 600 MCM, including half-steps between sizes so you fine tune your crimps.

And, on the TEMco site they say "Leading competitors flattened hex profile attempts to compensate for poor die to terminal fit. This under crimps and often leaves sharp “wings.” That seems to perfectly describe my die.

I'm not ready to buy, but I am saying that the run-of-the-mill Chinese crimpers don't have the right die. So if any of you know of other crimpers that appear to have the right die, meaning ones that are in AWG sizes, please let me know.

Nice find, i am liking what i see

Don’t miss the smaller, 5 ton TEMco crimpers. I’m going to call them in a bit to make sure I understand, but I think the die are narrower and that probably makes the PSI adequate for up to 2/0 wire. And I don’t need to go larger than that, so I think the smaller device is what I want.

Don’t miss the smaller, 5 ton TEMco crimpers. I’m going to call them in a bit to make sure I understand, but I think the die are narrower and that probably makes the PSI adequate for up to 2/0 wire. And I don’t need to go larger than that, so I think the smaller device is what I want.

I have the one (different brand but same thing) in the first post of Gary's as well as the smaller version of it and have no complaints. I've used them quite a bit over the past year and they have always done great.

I have the one (different brand but same thing) in the first post of Gary's as well as the smaller version of it and have no complaints. I've used them quite a bit over the past year and they have always done great.

Scott - Just to make sure I understand, the Chinese yellow-colored one. Right? Not the TEMco ones?

Speaking of TEMco, I had several questions for them about their crimpers so called this morning at 10:00 and had to leave a message to call me back. As of 2:00 they hadn't called so I called back and spent 30 minutes on hold. At the end of that time they booted me off hold and had me leave another message. Not too pleased, but I'll give them a chance. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Scott - Just to make sure I understand, the Chinese yellow-colored one. Right? Not the TEMco ones?

Speaking of TEMco, I had several questions for them about their crimpers so called this morning at 10:00 and had to leave a message to call me back. As of 2:00 they hadn't called so I called back and spent 30 minutes on hold. At the end of that time they booted me off hold and had me leave another message. Not too pleased, but I'll give them a chance. :nabble_smiley_cry:

You got it - the Chinese yellow ones that are rebranded under who knows how many names.

You said yours (large one) gave out? Anything the repair kit they provided would fix?

You got it - the Chinese yellow ones that are rebranded under who knows how many names.

You said yours (large one) gave out? Anything the repair kit they provided would fix?

Mine didn't come with a repair kit. Looks like it needs an o-ring. But I'm not really wanting to take it apart and go find the right o-ring as I'm not all that happy with it anyway.

So I'm seriously considering just replacing it and maybe giving it to my nephew if he doesn't have one. Obviously he will need to replace the o-ring. And, he'll need to use Magnalugs. But even then it doesn't really do the job as it leaves "wings".

Mine didn't come with a repair kit. Looks like it needs an o-ring. But I'm not really wanting to take it apart and go find the right o-ring as I'm not all that happy with it anyway.

So I'm seriously considering just replacing it and maybe giving it to my nephew if he doesn't have one. Obviously he will need to replace the o-ring. And, he'll need to use Magnalugs. But even then it doesn't really do the job as it leaves "wings".

I know what you mean. I start with a larger size and then work my way to the "correct" size. That helped a lot but on occasion I still had to take the finished cable over to the bench grinder to remove the wings before I applied the heat shrink. Fingers crossed this AWG one doesn't require any extra steps.

I know what you mean. I start with a larger size and then work my way to the "correct" size. That helped a lot but on occasion I still had to take the finished cable over to the bench grinder to remove the wings before I applied the heat shrink. Fingers crossed this AWG one doesn't require any extra steps.

I fold the wings back on the terminal with the crimper by turning it such that the wings catch in the corners of the die and then lightly crimping them. But I get wings on all the crimps using this crimper, which is why I'm hoping the AWG-sized die make the difference.

However, I'm learning a bit about crimping, wire sizes, terminals, etc. And apparently there is a correct crimped "size" for each terminal. Still reading and searching... :nabble_anim_working:

I fold the wings back on the terminal with the crimper by turning it such that the wings catch in the corners of the die and then lightly crimping them. But I get wings on all the crimps using this crimper, which is why I'm hoping the AWG-sized die make the difference.

However, I'm learning a bit about crimping, wire sizes, terminals, etc. And apparently there is a correct crimped "size" for each terminal. Still reading and searching... :nabble_anim_working:

There is also on Navy work a pull out spec that varies with cable size. I tested many of them for X31 (electricians).