Bullnose Forums

Quality Cab Mounts/suspension

delco1946

Hi All,

Do folks have recommendations for a source for cab mounts? I didn't see a previous thread too focused on the subject, so hopefully this isn't re-inventing the wheel....er cab mount. My whole front end is getting painted and torn apart for body repair so I thought this is a good time to address the smaller things like general rubber and suspension.

To back up a bit, I wanted to do this as it feels like the cab will have a bit of "flex" if that makes sense. Its like I can feel the drivers side cab floor detent or pop a bit if longitudinal torsion starts to occur when a front wheel lifts higher/lower (such as if one wheel is on the road and the other is on the curb). I don't think I have to much structural rust so i'm guessing this is due to worn suspension and cab mounts. This noise also doesn't generally happen when i'm going at a crawl/slow.

The body shop guy seemed pretty adamant that I should only do this if I can find OEM (or NOS) rubber mounts, as anything less would actually deteriorate faster than my existing 40 year old rubber mounts. He also said mine appear to be original.

It seems like after looking around that I want to avoid urethane mounts, as these will transmit a harsh ride. Thus, I think I want rubber. I haven't found any from Rubber the Right Way or Steele which (I think) are more reputable/higher quality. Has anyone found a product they recommend for this?

Also, feel free to identify anything else that I should do while the cab is completely gutted. I already ordered new rubber seals/weather-stripping from RTRW.

Thanks! Christopher

Hi All,

Do folks have recommendations for a source for cab mounts? I didn't see a previous thread too focused on the subject, so hopefully this isn't re-inventing the wheel....er cab mount. My whole front end is getting painted and torn apart for body repair so I thought this is a good time to address the smaller things like general rubber and suspension.

I have purchased two complete sets of cab and core support mounts, plus hardware, from LMC, and they seem pretty good to me. I can't comment on how well they will stand up for four decades, but my oldest set is now 3 years old, I guess. The 2nd set I've only installed recently. I don't think there are a lot of options for them to be honest.

One issue though is that there is a mistake in the LMC parts listing, so you have to be careful what you order. It was incorrect 3 years ago, and it was still incorrect a few months ago when ordered another complete set. I can dig out the correct part numbers though if you plan to go with LMC.

Subscribed. I went with the urethane and I like the ride in the supercab but the downside is that when twisting there is some popping/creaking that sounds like it is coming from the fender-cab contact points. For that reason, I've debated changing some or all to back to rubber.

Hi All,

I have purchased two complete sets of cab and core support mounts, plus hardware, from LMC, and they seem pretty good to me. I can't comment on how well they will stand up for four decades, but my oldest set is now 3 years old, I guess. The 2nd set I've only installed recently. I don't think there are a lot of options for them to be honest.

One issue though is that there is a mistake in the LMC parts listing, so you have to be careful what you order. It was incorrect 3 years ago, and it was still incorrect a few months ago when ordered another complete set. I can dig out the correct part numbers though if you plan to go with LMC.

Figured I'd note the mistake in the LMC listing in case anybody goes searching for cab mount information. Might save you some of the trouble I went through getting this sorted out.

The issue is the rear lower cushion, item #23. See black arrow below:

frame.jpg.40eef9f6d70ab5539c1891f1242705fc.jpg

For some reason LMC has part number 40-2008 listed for 1980-1986, which is incorrect. The correct rear lower cushion is part number 40-2009, which should be listed as fitting 1980-1996.

cushions1.jpg.00c79caa531fc88a89e1a6e90c63aba6.jpg

cushions2.jpg.cd6a49d864333c17156a5a08af38a12c.jpg

There's actually two mistakes, but the first one is sort of irrelevant. For the rear upper cushion, they list a year break, 1980-1994, and the 1995-1996, but list the same part number for both. In any case, they only sell one rear upper cushion, and there's only one rear lower cushion that fits it, and that is 40-2009.

Relatively new to the market but these S&B composite mounts were engineered to give the cushion of rubber and durability of urethane.

The price is a bit of a hard one to accept but it comes with galvanized hardware, lifetime warranty, and isn’t that far off if I were to build my own kit from LMC and ship to Canada. I’ll be getting these soon, and was going to throw up a post going over them when I do.

S&B Filters Body Mounts Ford 80-96

Relatively new to the market but these S&B composite mounts were engineered to give the cushion of rubber and durability of urethane.

The price is a bit of a hard one to accept but it comes with galvanized hardware, lifetime warranty, and isn’t that far off if I were to build my own kit from LMC and ship to Canada. I’ll be getting these soon, and was going to throw up a post going over them when I do.

You are right, they are expensive. But, they should last essentially forever. And they have 185 5-star ratings and 7 4-star ratings out of a total of 192 So they must be good. :nabble_smiley_good:

Those do sound great. Will keep an eye on them (and your review). At that price they are something you'd want to move to a new truck when your old one wears out around them :nabble_smiley_beam:

Woof. Those are expensive but they seem to be high quality and worth every penny. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on these!

What’s money for if not to spend :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Thanks Bryan!

Well, if Darth ever needs any I will probably go with them, his are still in good shape.

Pulled the trigger. I won’t have my truck back for a while, but I’ll report back (eventually) on these. The reviews seem to be excellent with ongoing product improvement so the only significant complaint related to the included bolts being too short for some may no longer be an issue (I hope).

It feels a bit comforting when spending this kind of money knowing that these trucks are starting to pull 15 - 25k for excellent condition specimens.