Bullnose Forums

460 engine crossmember

BLES

I have a big block in my '83 F100 2wd where there was originally a 300-6.

I've always used an adapter from L&L for a remote oil filter. I would REALLY like to get rid of the remote filter and just use a 90 degree adapter if possible, but it's really tight for space. I'm wondering if the crossmember is different for the original 6 cylinder.?

Does anyone have a close-up of the oil filter/crossmember with a 460 installed.?

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that someone will come a long and correct me, But from what I have been reading, the engine cross member is the same in all of these pickups. What you need to do is change the engine mounts to the 460 mounts instead of the 300 mounts.

The 460 crossmembers are different and they have a divot in them for the oil filter adapter. I'll look in a bit and see if I have a picture of that, but maybe someone else has one handy?

I am sure that someone will come a long and correct me, But from what I have been reading, the engine cross member is the same in all of these pickups. What you need to do is change the engine mounts to the 460 mounts instead of the 300 mounts.

Thanks for the input.

I've had the big block in it for 30 years. I changed the mounts and fit the engine in then, but there is no room for the filter. I switched to the remote adapter to make it fit back then, but I'd like to get rid of it now (I have the engine out again right now.). I know 460 was an option in the heavier trucks but I'm thinking the crossmember must have had a cutout or the 90 degree adapter must have been very compact. The one I tried in the late 80s wouldn't fit.

I'd like to try again... ;-)

The 460 crossmembers are different and they have a divot in them for the oil filter adapter. I'll look in a bit and see if I have a picture of that, but maybe someone else has one handy?

I was too slow responding!

Your answer would sure make sense of things for me. I would still need a 90 adapter, but...

I was too slow responding!

Your answer would sure make sense of things for me. I would still need a 90 adapter, but...

Let's see if this helps:

Both_Shackle_Bolts_In.thumb.jpg.343f10188e2230f0cc759ed65e35bcd1.jpg

THANK YOU!

That would make all the difference! (There are a LOT of differences in that frame area.) Looks like I'm going to have to fire up the plasma and welder and get creative!

That's an F250/350 4WD frame, and it differs from the 2WD version as well as the F150 versions.

Good luck!

That's an F250/350 4WD frame, and it differs from the 2WD version as well as the F150 versions.

Good luck!

These may help some, these are installed in a 1986 F350 2WD chassis:

Oil filter adapter, mine has the external oil cooler that mounts up front.

Left_side_rear.thumb.jpg.f776311f52b0d3cf131fd8d2201a0e98.jpg

Here is the factory mount, left side of my new engine.

DSCN1288.thumb.jpg.d4994473f601280b82151012e08a914a.jpg

Note the heat shield over and behind the mount, this keeps the manifold heat from destroying the mount.

Right side sowing the mount adapter plate.

DSCN1237.thumb.jpg.e8de118297fa95292b1a6c891be7380a.jpg

Here is a front view showing how low Ford had to put the mounts to fit in a frame that was not designed to have a 460.

DSCN1286.thumb.jpg.0398ce509ddf9eca01d3e22867d2cc22.jpg

Hope these will help, you also need to find what Ford calls the perches from a truck with a 460.