Bullnose Forums

Seatbelt Anchor Bolt

Machspeed

John - Your bolt doesn't match what the documentation shows. If you go to Documentation/Interior/Seat Belts I think that you'll see that you should have 386582 and 386274. I have one each extra, which you are welcome to.

And here's the entry from the Standard & Misc. Parts catalog for those bolts. I am confident that the entry for 386582 is wrong so have marked it up, as shown.

Standard__Misc_Parts_Entry_For_Seat_Belt_Bolts.thumb.jpg.3821e26e45f89b35c1f408080a9d695a.jpg

And here are my two extra bolts with dimensions.

Mounting_Bolt_Dimensions.thumb.jpg.3f89c037db21e95665839f86fda6c310.jpg

John - Your bolt doesn't match what the documentation shows. If you go to Documentation/Interior/Seat Belts I think that you'll see that you should have 386582 and 386274. I have one each extra, which you are welcome to.

And here's the entry from the Standard & Misc. Parts catalog for those bolts. I am confident that the entry for 386582 is wrong so have marked it up, as shown.

Ok, I think there is a lot of error in all of this. And part of it is mine. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, in my defense, I was believing the MPC. Silly boy! John was talking about the bolts that hold the shoulder belt reel to the B-pillar and the bottom of the belt to the floor of the cab near the door. Not the seatbelts to the floor behind the seat. I misunderstood that.

However, if you look at this illustration from the MPC it clearly shows that the upper and lower bolts are to be a 386582., which have a shoulder on them to allow the seatbelts to swivel. But John pointed out to me that the ones for the belt on the B-pillar do not have that shoulder. So I went looking and, sure enough, the ones in the baggies with the reels that came off Dad's truck don't have the shoulder.

Given that I'm sure the MPC is wrong. But can any of you confirm that your truck has bolts without shoulders for the upper and lower attachments on the shoulder harness?

regular-cab.thumb.jpg.8b920139194cd16d498377ad973700dd.jpg

And, there were apparently two styles. In the pic below the bolt on top matches the ones John has given the pics he's sent me. And it is now his, although he just doesn't have it yet. But the bottom bolt is from Dad's truck, and I have three others just like it.

386392.thumb.jpg.c9f2207347e1699da605bc376756e51f.jpg

Ok, I think there is a lot of error in all of this. And part of it is mine. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, in my defense, I was believing the MPC. Silly boy! John was talking about the bolts that hold the shoulder belt reel to the B-pillar and the bottom of the belt to the floor of the cab near the door. Not the seatbelts to the floor behind the seat. I misunderstood that.

However, if you look at this illustration from the MPC it clearly shows that the upper and lower bolts are to be a 386582., which have a shoulder on them to allow the seatbelts to swivel. But John pointed out to me that the ones for the belt on the B-pillar do not have that shoulder. So I went looking and, sure enough, the ones in the baggies with the reels that came off Dad's truck don't have the shoulder.

Given that I'm sure the MPC is wrong. But can any of you confirm that your truck has bolts without shoulders for the upper and lower attachments on the shoulder harness?

And, there were apparently two styles. In the pic below the bolt on top matches the ones John has given the pics he's sent me. And it is now his, although he just doesn't have it yet. But the bottom bolt is from Dad's truck, and I have three others just like it.

I can confirm that in both my 80 and 86 - no shoulders on those.

80 has the cylinder(?) head, 86 has the taper head.

I can confirm that in both my 80 and 86 - no shoulders on those.

80 has the cylinder(?) head, 86 has the taper head.

Thanks, Scott! I need to update the illustrations then. Ford has them wrong, for sure.

As for those bolt heads, it looks like Ford changed suppliers and the early ones had the "cylinder" head with the later ones the tapered head. But I'm not sure what the part number is.

The snippet below shows the bolts that are supposedly used. We already know where 386274 and 386582 are used, so might it be 386392? I can say that if it is then the MPC is wrong again as the bolts in the pic above are 1 3/8" instead of 2 1/8" as shown below.

bolts_orig.thumb.jpg.633a71a86fd6c6f6887560e97d7d3568.jpg

I think 386392 is probably the bolt used, but can't prove it. On the one hand, the MPC says that it is used on the E-Series vans as well as the F-Series trucks. And yet there is only one illustration in the whole of the MPC that shows it - the E-series van one shown below.

So, is this the bolt used on our pickups? Does anyone know of a van they can pull that bolt from to see if it is the one in the pic above?

E-Series_Seat_Belts.thumb.jpg.0fcb176cf036ba028f7af9019a771198.jpg

Thanks, Scott! I need to update the illustrations then. Ford has them wrong, for sure.

As for those bolt heads, it looks like Ford changed suppliers and the early ones had the "cylinder" head with the later ones the tapered head. But I'm not sure what the part number is.

The snippet below shows the bolts that are supposedly used. We already know where 386274 and 386582 are used, so might it be 386392? I can say that if it is then the MPC is wrong again as the bolts in the pic above are 1 3/8" instead of 2 1/8" as shown below.

I think 386392 is probably the bolt used, but can't prove it. On the one hand, the MPC says that it is used on the E-Series vans as well as the F-Series trucks. And yet there is only one illustration in the whole of the MPC that shows it - the E-series van one shown below.

So, is this the bolt used on our pickups? Does anyone know of a van they can pull that bolt from to see if it is the one in the pic above?

Thanks Gary! That seat belt anchor bolt was in there. I think it may have been cross threaded and then with all the years of corrosion it wouldn't budge. I knew I was in trouble when the heat wouldn't even unseat it. An impact was it's ultimate demise before drilling and tapping it out.

I guess I need to save this chart and inventory my seat belt bolts (at least the Ford ones).

I can confirm that the reels on Darth (all 4 of them) have shoulderless bolts. They have to or the reels would move around. FWIW, the crew cabs have the mounting location for rear outboard shoulder belts, lower holes have rubber plugs as they go through to underneath, upper holes aren't tapped, but the bulge in the corner trim is there with a plug in it where the belt will pass through.

I can confirm that the reels on Darth (all 4 of them) have shoulderless bolts. They have to or the reels would move around. FWIW, the crew cabs have the mounting location for rear outboard shoulder belts, lower holes have rubber plugs as they go through to underneath, upper holes aren't tapped, but the bulge in the corner trim is there with a plug in it where the belt will pass through.

Ok, it looks like it is unanimous. The MPC is wrong, several times. But can someone confirm that the bolt is 1 3/8" below the head? John, that's what your pic that you texted to me shows, right?

If so, I'm going to assume we know the part number and edit the table as well as the illustrations.

Ok, it looks like it is unanimous. The MPC is wrong, several times. But can someone confirm that the bolt is 1 3/8" below the head? John, that's what your pic that you texted to me shows, right?

If so, I'm going to assume we know the part number and edit the table as well as the illustrations.

Yes, that's what it appears to be in the picture I took. I'll measure it again when I get out there later.