Bullnose Forum

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

Good question. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, one is probably illumination?

You are correct! The white/red is illumination only. The white is power. The black is still a bit of a mystery. The chassis is clearly the ground. The black connects to the same rheostat (but not the same terminal) that the power does.

59B9FADA-63DC-46D0-A7B6-CCAFED449858.jpeg.5cacf0ea3d52dac793b7e82ac773345e.jpeg

7A9E197F-3C87-475A-AB45-AFB69A2637F1.jpeg.3b3233d951127b8710f5c2d68b31d293.jpeg

You are correct! The white/red is illumination only. The white is power. The black is still a bit of a mystery. The chassis is clearly the ground. The black connects to the same rheostat (but not the same terminal) that the power does.

You do have a separate antenna connection, right?

If so, I can't imagine what the black is. I see then soldered connection to the case for ground, but I also see the orangeish looking wire coming from the feed-through terminal the black wire connects to the other end of, so it must not be ground. :nabble_anim_confused:

You do have a separate antenna connection, right?

If so, I can't imagine what the black is. I see then soldered connection to the case for ground, but I also see the orangeish looking wire coming from the feed-through terminal the black wire connects to the other end of, so it must not be ground. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, I do have a separate antenna connection. Not knowing what this came out of, is it possible it is a power antenna trigger? Did power antennas exist in the 70’s? That is the same rheostat that turns the power on for the radio so maybe it sends out a signal to raise the antenna. Thoughts?

Yes, I do have a separate antenna connection. Not knowing what this came out of, is it possible it is a power antenna trigger? Did power antennas exist in the 70’s? That is the same rheostat that turns the power on for the radio so maybe it sends out a signal to raise the antenna. Thoughts?

Yes, it could be a power antenna connection. I would put my DVM in ohms mode and connect one lead to white and one to black and turn the switch on. If it is a power antenna lead you'll see the resistance go to almost zero.

Yes, it could be a power antenna connection. I would put my DVM in ohms mode and connect one lead to white and one to black and turn the switch on. If it is a power antenna lead you'll see the resistance go to almost zero.

Bingo! No connection with power off. Zero ohms with power on. Thanks Gary!

You did it, not me. :nabble_anim_handshake:

It takes a village!

Just to test a few things I hooked up the radio and used a wire to ground the case to the vehicle. The radio would not turn on. Not until I plugged in the antenna wire did the radio come to life. Not sure what's up with that. One more layer of the onion that needs to be peeled!

It takes a village!

Just to test a few things I hooked up the radio and used a wire to ground the case to the vehicle. The radio would not turn on. Not until I plugged in the antenna wire did the radio come to life. Not sure what's up with that. One more layer of the onion that needs to be peeled!

The antenna is grounded and so would bring a ground down its lead. Perhaps your ground didn't work?

That's a bummer! You got one cable freed up only to find the other one had been cut. :nabble_smiley_cry:

To replace it you might get lucky and find one via the part number, shown below from our page at Documentation/HVAC. But more likely you'll have to go to a lawnmower shop and have them make you one. They might be able to use the old outer housing, or may just make a new one complete.

Hey Gary, on a previous post you indicated that my temp control cable for my heater was part number E0TZ-18518-A as shown below.

Screenshot_2021-12-13_085208.png.28b63fd3f66fed906f14cec3af7f8eba.png

I finally pulled the cable out and found a small tag wrapped around the cable that says E0TH-18D306-AA. Why the difference between the two numbers? TIA

Hey Gary, on a previous post you indicated that my temp control cable for my heater was part number E0TZ-18518-A as shown below.

I finally pulled the cable out and found a small tag wrapped around the cable that says E0TH-18D306-AA. Why the difference between the two numbers? TIA

Some place I need to document this 'cause I have to keep telling people about it since it is so bizarre. But any # on a part is not a part #. Does that make sense? It doesn't to me. :nabble_anim_crazy:

In the 60's Ford had one of their Better Ideas, and I think it says a lot that it was in the 60's. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But the idea was that they'd put ID #'s on the parts and part numbers in the Master Parts Catalog. Then they published a Master Cross Reference List where both are listed. I have three of those cross reference books, and the 1980 version thereof is 1228 pages long. :nabble_smiley_oh:

And, sure enough, ID # E0TH-18D306-AA cross references to E0TZ-18518-A.

One tipoff that you are looking at an ID #, other than it being on the part, is that the prefix should be something like E0TZ and not E0TH. Another is the double-character suffix like -AA. Part numbers, from what I see, never went to more than one character. But ID #'s had both single and double-character suffixes.