Bullnose Forums

LED Headlight Review

I just watched this video and I'm impressed with some of the results. But something he said at the end got my attention - do you like the "reflector style" or "projector style". And of the 16 he tested he came down to these:

• Reflector Style: Grote, Trucklite, and Phillips

• Projector Style: Morimoto and JW Speaker 8900

Personally I like the reflector style and might consider one of those, especially the Trucklite, given the look and the review.

And, speaking of the review, I particularly like the indicator bar at the bottom of the screen that let's you pic the review of the headlight you want to watch. I've gone back and re-watched a number of them and the bar is wonderful for that.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a great video. Suspect it kept you, Gary, from buying all those headlights too....:nabble_smiley_happy:. While I know form follows function, I can't get past the aesthetics of them, especially the top two. The Bullnose front is beautiful and in my own humble opinion, they take away from that look.

That's a great video. Suspect it kept you, Gary, from buying all those headlights too....:nabble_smiley_happy:. While I know form follows function, I can't get past the aesthetics of them, especially the top two. The Bullnose front is beautiful and in my own humble opinion, they take away from that look.

I watched that too, found it intresting and it reinforced what I have been telling people about the way the beams are not focused and that means you cant adjust them so they wont blind people

I watched that too, found it intresting and it reinforced what I have been telling people about the way the beams are not focused and that means you cant adjust them so they wont blind people

I’m not sure I could say the Bullnose front end is “pretty”, but I bought the rectangular fog lights based on looks. So I’m not sure I want to put the JD Speaker lights on as I don’t think they really go with the truck.

Having said that, Janey said “I’d go with the ones that let you see best the bug-eyed ones if they are best.” :nabble_smiley_uh:

I’m still leaning to the Trucklites. They don’t have as good of a pattern as the JW’s, but they are still far better than the stock halogens. And I’m guessing that they are better than the upgraded halogens, at about the same price, although I’ll ask the pro about that.

I just watched this video and I'm impressed with some of the results. But something he said at the end got my attention - do you like the "reflector style" or "projector style". And of the 16 he tested he came down to these:

Personally I like the reflector style and might consider one of those, especially the Trucklite, given the look and the review.

And, speaking of the review, I particularly like the indicator bar at the bottom of the screen that let's you pic the review of the headlight you want to watch. I've gone back and re-watched a number of them and the bar is wonderful for that.

Interesting, only thing is its a shame that they cant go with a cut glass lens to create the pattern I dont like the clear look but I have to do something on my truck, I just looked yesterday, my Hella composite glass housings have to be replaced for a 2nd time now in 5 years due to hazing on the inside of the glass. You cant clean it, you cant disassemble the housing to apply some kind of coating on the glass to prevent that.My only option is to buy another set at $80 then defect these out in a month claiming the ones I just bought hazed up on the inside. Then if I do that I have to decide do I want to go back with the ECE approved lights or go with the DOT approved so I can have sign illumination again which you dont have with ECE, but ECE does put a lot of light on the road for me.For me I dont really need to go LED I just am growing tired of replacing my composite housings due to hazing up on the back side of the glass when the whole point of changing to the composite housings was to make it easier to change headlight bulbs over taking the whole front trim doors off every time. But with how many times ive taken it off in 5 years compared to the last 10 years with a sealed beam bulb I think I may just go back sealed beam.

Interesting, only thing is its a shame that they cant go with a cut glass lens to create the pattern I dont like the clear look but I have to do something on my truck, I just looked yesterday, my Hella composite glass housings have to be replaced for a 2nd time now in 5 years due to hazing on the inside of the glass. You cant clean it, you cant disassemble the housing to apply some kind of coating on the glass to prevent that.My only option is to buy another set at $80 then defect these out in a month claiming the ones I just bought hazed up on the inside. Then if I do that I have to decide do I want to go back with the ECE approved lights or go with the DOT approved so I can have sign illumination again which you dont have with ECE, but ECE does put a lot of light on the road for me.For me I dont really need to go LED I just am growing tired of replacing my composite housings due to hazing up on the back side of the glass when the whole point of changing to the composite housings was to make it easier to change headlight bulbs over taking the whole front trim doors off every time. But with how many times ive taken it off in 5 years compared to the last 10 years with a sealed beam bulb I think I may just go back sealed beam.
I'm surprised that you are seeing fogging in your housings. I ran them for years in my motorcycles and didn't have fogging. But obviously you are, and I'd want to change to something sealed - either LEDs or back to the sealed halogens.But I can't recommend that you "buy another set at $80 then defect these out in a month". That wouldn't be appropriate. And, it just kicks the can down the road. I recommend you decide to go back, to sealed beams, or forward to LEDs.

I'm surprised that you are seeing fogging in your housings. I ran them for years in my motorcycles and didn't have fogging. But obviously you are, and I'd want to change to something sealed - either LEDs or back to the sealed halogens.

But I can't recommend that you "buy another set at $80 then defect these out in a month". That wouldn't be appropriate. And, it just kicks the can down the road. I recommend you decide to go back, to sealed beams, or forward to LEDs.

I know, if I could find a way to clean the haze out of the inside I wouldnt mind pulling the housings off once every 5 years to clean them but I dont know if there is a way to clean the inside.

I did ask on summit if they improved them since I bought mine so long ago.

I run the Morimoto Sealed 7s version 1 in my Samurai. They work exceptionally well with they only downside being that they don't generate enough heat to melt snow accumulation.

I had a look before and there are some LED headlights i believe from Morimoto and JWSpeaker that have a heating element built into the lens to help with this problem, but I wasn't about to spend $400 per light.

I run the Morimoto Sealed 7s version 1 in my Samurai. They work exceptionally well with they only downside being that they don't generate enough heat to melt snow accumulation.

I had a look before and there are some LED headlights i believe from Morimoto and JWSpeaker that have a heating element built into the lens to help with this problem, but I wasn't about to spend $400 per light.

Trucklite just announced a heated version as well. But I haven't seen the price on them, and if they are like the JW Speaker heated ones at +$100/ea they'll be expensive. We are already talking about $340 for a pair of the unheated ones.