Bullnose Forums

DIY voltmeter

Shipping is high for me to send mine in for the conversion from Canada to US and back so I decided to try on my own. I purchased one from Canadian Tire and disassembled it. I wanted to retain the oem look so I cut the needle off of the ammeter, cut the one off of the voltmeter and glued the factory one on. It took a lot of messing around to fit and mount it. I installed it so when the truck is running at full voltage, the needle was slightly over the last line on the right side of the ammeter display.

In the end it turned out great....would I do it again...not for the price you can buy one in the US for, lol.

The meter I used was ..EQUUS 2" BLACK VOLTMETER E6268. It was a cheap meter so I had nothing to lose.

Shipping is high for me to send mine in for the conversion from Canada to US and back so I decided to try on my own. I purchased one from Canadian Tire and disassembled it. I wanted to retain the oem look so I cut the needle off of the ammeter, cut the one off of the voltmeter and glued the factory one on. It took a lot of messing around to fit and mount it. I installed it so when the truck is running at full voltage, the needle was slightly over the last line on the right side of the ammeter display.

In the end it turned out great....would I do it again...not for the price you can buy one in the US for, lol.

The meter I used was ..EQUUS 2" BLACK VOLTMETER E6268. It was a cheap meter so I had nothing to lose.

I would ask for a pic, but I'm guessing you can't tell if from a stock ammeter. Right?

But did you take any pics along the way of the internals? And how you mounted it? If so those might be helpful for others.

Thanks.

Shipping is high for me to send mine in for the conversion from Canada to US and back so I decided to try on my own.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The shipping is a bear these days. Like Gary suggested, I'd be interested in any photos of your process.

Still waiting to test mine. I'm wondering if the magnet I used is too strong...

L

I would ask for a pic, but I'm guessing you can't tell if from a stock ammeter. Right?

But did you take any pics along the way of the internals? And how you mounted it? If so those might be helpful for others.

Thanks.

Sorry, I did not take any pics during the install. Definitely dropping the ball on that one.

Only way to tell is that the needle is not sitting in the middle anymore. IMG_6996.jpg.611932302268eb12749faddf2cbd6396.jpg

IMG_7605.jpg.17c6990035497d1bc679d928c4528d59.jpg

Looks great! What voltage range does it have?

Thanks.

Voltage range is same as on the Equus meter. The sweep range on the Equus does not match the range on the ammeter. I was not concerned with that though. I just wanted to know if my voltage was dropping below 14 when running. So I mounted it so that 14-14.4v was near the last mark on the ammeter. When its off, I think the needle drops out of sight range. I used an ignition line for voltage off of the main harness below the steering column ( to the left side of the steering column I believe).

While the cluster was out, redid the needles with hipo paint. Gave 2 coats or so. What a difference.

Fluorescent Speedo & Gauge Needle Restoration Paint HP-FLORP-01 1

https://www.hipoparts.com/fluorescent-speedo-gauge-needle-restoration-paint/

Thanks.

Voltage range is same as on the Equus meter. The sweep range on the Equus does not match the range on the ammeter. I was not concerned with that though. I just wanted to know if my voltage was dropping below 14 when running. So I mounted it so that 14-14.4v was near the last mark on the ammeter. When its off, I think the needle drops out of sight range. I used an ignition line for voltage off of the main harness below the steering column ( to the left side of the steering column I believe).

While the cluster was out, redid the needles with hipo paint. Gave 2 coats or so. What a difference.

Fluorescent Speedo & Gauge Needle Restoration Paint HP-FLORP-01 1

https://www.hipoparts.com/fluorescent-speedo-gauge-needle-restoration-paint/

Looks good. I notice the illumination to the right side of the tach on your panel is much brighter than on my panel... I replaced all the bulbs with LEDs a while back. I guess I should check to make sure they're all working.

Lucas