Bullnose Forums

Advice On Dealing With RockAuto

Machspeed

Hey friends, would appreciate your thoughts and comments?

My wife ordered me some ACC carpet for Christmas through RockAuto. Prior to her ordering it, I requested samples directly through ACC. From those samples, I had her order a med gray. After prepping my floor pans yesterday, I took the carpet out to my shop to find that it looks green. It's actually a greenish gray, but more green. And, it does not appear to match the color of the sample. Totally disappointed! I went on the RockAuto website, typed in my wife's email and order number and they show no returns after 30 days. I could not seem to find a direct number or even an alternative contact info.

As such, I contacted ACC, explained my situation and they said I must go through RockAuto. I re-stated that I got the samples through them and they do not appear to match the carpet. Go back to RockAuto, was their response. This is going to be a mess.

I've been back on the RockAuto website and I can't seem to find even a way to contact them to explain my situation. They provide no phone number, stating that's how they keep prices low. Can't find an email either. Thoughts? There has got to be a way to contact them...........

If you ultimately can't get a hold of them, as a last resort you can dispute the charge with your credit card company (if you paid with a CC). You usually have 6 months to dispute the charges. They may also purchase protection that extends the return period or offers credit for items that the seller won't allow you to return.

There was a lengthy thread on FTE recently about a dispute over something with RockAuto...an incorrect part, and I believe that guy said that there is literally no one to talk to. A return or warranty claim must be done by email, and even the responses and process are all automated...so even then, you're dealing with AI, and not real people. I order a lot from RockAuto and so far my luck with them has been very good. I suppose that will end one of these days.

So I'm really no help John, sorry. Maybe list it up for sale in the meantime and see if you can flip it at a minimal loss and order a different carpet.

There was a lengthy thread on FTE recently about a dispute over something with RockAuto...an incorrect part, and I believe that guy said that there is literally no one to talk to. A return or warranty claim must be done by email, and even the responses and process are all automated...so even then, you're dealing with AI, and not real people. I order a lot from RockAuto and so far my luck with them has been very good. I suppose that will end one of these days.

So I'm really no help John, sorry. Maybe list it up for sale in the meantime and see if you can flip it at a minimal loss and order a different carpet.

I had one problem with them 8 or 9 years ago. I ordered a range position switch for my E4OD which came from a 1990 F250. Ford has a TSB (which I didn't see first) reflecting a change due to water intrusion in the older switches. They sent me the 1990 switch which, of course, did not match the 1995 transmission harness I was using. I contacted them, included a copy of the TSB and essentially got "too bad, you ordered it" from them. FWIW, all Rock Auto is, like Amazon, a reseller that buys in quantity and sends the order with a shipping label to the actual source.

Amazon was funny the other day, I ordered a Hayes Genesis brake controller from etrailer.com as Amazon did not have it, they had other Hayes controllers, but not the Genesis. etrailer.com did not have the recommended pigtail to make it plug-n-play on my 2009 Flex limited with the factory tow package. I went back to Amazon, with the Hayes PN and sure enough they had it. The little window "be sure this fits your vehicle" came up. According to Amazon the PN from the manufacturer "doesn't fit your vehicle" most likely because a key question wasn't asked "with factory tow package?" I ordered it anyway and it, of course plugs right in to the provided 6 pin plug.

I had one problem with them 8 or 9 years ago. I ordered a range position switch for my E4OD which came from a 1990 F250. Ford has a TSB (which I didn't see first) reflecting a change due to water intrusion in the older switches. They sent me the 1990 switch which, of course, did not match the 1995 transmission harness I was using. I contacted them, included a copy of the TSB and essentially got "too bad, you ordered it" from them. FWIW, all Rock Auto is, like Amazon, a reseller that buys in quantity and sends the order with a shipping label to the actual source.

Amazon was funny the other day, I ordered a Hayes Genesis brake controller from etrailer.com as Amazon did not have it, they had other Hayes controllers, but not the Genesis. etrailer.com did not have the recommended pigtail to make it plug-n-play on my 2009 Flex limited with the factory tow package. I went back to Amazon, with the Hayes PN and sure enough they had it. The little window "be sure this fits your vehicle" came up. According to Amazon the PN from the manufacturer "doesn't fit your vehicle" most likely because a key question wasn't asked "with factory tow package?" I ordered it anyway and it, of course plugs right in to the provided 6 pin plug.

Well, I just attempted to call RockAuto and they send me through a loop and back to the web page for returns. They state again in their phone message that they don't take phone calls. This is BS! My wife ordered this as a Christmas present 11/27 and I opened it 12/25. A couple more days and it's out of the no return date. I can't even make my case with them and I'm not going to take a $300 pop in the mouth on it. What an outrage!

Well, I just attempted to call RockAuto and they send me through a loop and back to the web page for returns. They state again in their phone message that they don't take phone calls. This is BS! My wife ordered this as a Christmas present 11/27 and I opened it 12/25. A couple more days and it's out of the no return date. I can't even make my case with them and I'm not going to take a $300 pop in the mouth on it. What an outrage!

My review of RA in Marketplace/Vender Reviews & Ratings says:

At one time I swore off RA because they sent me the wrong heater core - in spite of me calling and asking specifically that they pull the core from the box and ensure it was the right one. That was because the manufacturer was putting the wrong core in the right box. They agreed to do that but didn't and I got the wrong one. Then they would only give me a store credit - even though it was their fault. Plus, they didn't have the right core in stock to ship to me.

However, subsequently I've learned that their catalog is an excellent tool with which to find parts. And their prices are pretty good, although Amazon frequently beats them. But returns are still a problem, so I'm only giving them a 4-star rating.

I buy from RA, but only things that I know are the right part. And they aren't my favorite vendor, for sure. If you have a problem, you have a problem. And it would appear that you have a real PROBLEM. Sorry, John. Don't know what to tell you.

My review of RA in Marketplace/Vender Reviews & Ratings says:

At one time I swore off RA because they sent me the wrong heater core - in spite of me calling and asking specifically that they pull the core from the box and ensure it was the right one. That was because the manufacturer was putting the wrong core in the right box. They agreed to do that but didn't and I got the wrong one. Then they would only give me a store credit - even though it was their fault. Plus, they didn't have the right core in stock to ship to me.

However, subsequently I've learned that their catalog is an excellent tool with which to find parts. And their prices are pretty good, although Amazon frequently beats them. But returns are still a problem, so I'm only giving them a 4-star rating.

I buy from RA, but only things that I know are the right part. And they aren't my favorite vendor, for sure. If you have a problem, you have a problem. And it would appear that you have a real PROBLEM. Sorry, John. Don't know what to tell you.

I had very bad issues with Rockauto with my ac system. I will only use rock auto if i absolutely have to. but to be honest, you arent going to get anywhere with them because its been after 30 days. I had the same issue with some wrong ac hoses that i didn't install until about 60 or so days later.

I had very bad issues with Rockauto with my ac system. I will only use rock auto if i absolutely have to. but to be honest, you arent going to get anywhere with them because its been after 30 days. I had the same issue with some wrong ac hoses that i didn't install until about 60 or so days later.

I have sworn off these guys. Same issues with no contact or customer service. Wasted so much money reordering from a second vendor on several occasions.

I have sworn off these guys. Same issues with no contact or customer service. Wasted so much money reordering from a second vendor on several occasions.

Just an update on this thread. I found an email, though questionable, to email Rockauto which I did. At the same time I was also in conversation with ACC and I was letting them know that I was not happy with green carpet when I ordered gray. Told them they boxed it and sent it to Rockauto who intern sent it to me. Told them they needed to re-evaluate that color and that they would be hearing more from me on the matter. Don't know if ACC contacted Rockauto or if Rockauto looked at my pictures and story and agreed with my complaint. But, Rockauto sent me a return notification. I'll be paying shipping fees back and possibly a re-stocking fee but at this point I'm glad I made it this far. Live and learn!

I want to say too, this has been the only issue I've ever had with Rockauto and I've ordered lots. I may still do business with them but I will closely inspect everything that comes from them and ensure that I got what I ordered and that it works prior to the 30 day no return policy.