Bullnose Forums

Two knocking sounds on 1982 F-150

Paulco

Hello

Finally passed my emissions test and got the tags for my truck. Huge milestone that took me 3 months of learning, replacing and fixing.

Now I need to start working on my next list of problems. I notice that when I am slowing to a stop I hear a knocking sound that seems to slow and then disappear when the truck stops.

The second sound is again when I am going slow and turning the truck at nearly the full turn, it makes a slow knocking sounds almost once every second. I was thinking it could be the universal joints or that area but any feedback would be great.

The truck is a 1982 F-150 4X4 short bed with V8 502.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul. I'll defer to others' wisdom on the clicking, although mine at about that cadence in the past has been ujoints, wheel bearings, a smog pump with a bad bearing or once when I was lucky, a dangling battery tender wire through the grill.

I'm in a Ca county that requires a visual and tailpipe test every 2 years. I usually post my emissions results here to archive and compare to the few others that also live in jurisdictions with emission compliance regimes. Would you do the same for posterity?

Paul - I agree with Mark/Dyn Blin. But u-joints are going to be running ~3 times faster than the wheels, so they'll sound different.

On u-joints you can sometimes tell by sliding under the truck and trying to move the driveshaft sideways. Or turn it and see if there is play in the joint.

Wheel bearings can be checked by jacking that corner up and pulling out on the bottom of the wheel while pushing in on the top. And vice versa. You are looking for movement of the hub, and there shouldn't be any.

Having said that, bad ball joints can give movement of the hub, but it usually takes more force to do that.