Bullnose Forums

How difficult is adding dash vents

delco1946

Did you have to make the firewall modifications to do that? I know you said trim but I was thinking from other projects that it was more involved.

I have this project on my to-do list and even have everything here to do it. It looks like a huge task I think just because of the sheer amount of components and disassembly and assembly required. I've looked at both AC and Non-AC cabs, and they are not much different. I can turn my Non-AC cab into an AC cab in about 5 minutes with a zip-cut disk on the grinder. The biggest thing is that the large 3rd hole (#3) needs to be cut (for recirculation) that isn't present in the Non-AC cab. Then the hole has to be trimmed to fit the heater core tubes through (#2)...currently that is where the heat cable passes through. Other then that, the main hole on the left needs to be trimmed a bit on the bottom. The fresh air hole that is behind the fender is the same on both AC and Non-AC cabs.

I will probably start this before spring. I am now waiting for my new gasket set to arrive from Detroit Muscle Tech. It was a bit of a hassle for me to get it shipped into Canada...delivery has turned into a couple months. Hoping it arrives in February. Once I have the new gasket set, I plan to mount the hvac box so I can trace out the recirc hole in the cab...that way I don't mess it up...lol.

Didn't even know they used A/C in Canada..:nabble_smiley_oh:

Didn't even know they used A/C in Canada..:nabble_smiley_oh:

Ha! Back in the Bullnose days, there were a lot of Non-AC trucks sold in Canada...lol.

Funny, there was a guy on one of the Facebook Bullnose pages last year talking about AC, and he said that he had never seen one without AC, and had owned 5-6 of them.

Did you have to make the firewall modifications to do that? I know you said trim but I was thinking from other projects that it was more involved.

I have this project on my to-do list and even have everything here to do it. It looks like a huge task I think just because of the sheer amount of components and disassembly and assembly required. I've looked at both AC and Non-AC cabs, and they are not much different. I can turn my Non-AC cab into an AC cab in about 5 minutes with a zip-cut disk on the grinder. The biggest thing is that the large 3rd hole (#3) needs to be cut (for recirculation) that isn't present in the Non-AC cab. Then the hole has to be trimmed to fit the heater core tubes through (#2)...currently that is where the heat cable passes through. Other then that, the main hole on the left needs to be trimmed a bit on the bottom. The fresh air hole that is behind the fender is the same on both AC and Non-AC cabs.

I will probably start this before spring. I am now waiting for my new gasket set to arrive from Detroit Muscle Tech. It was a bit of a hassle for me to get it shipped into Canada...delivery has turned into a couple months. Hoping it arrives in February. Once I have the new gasket set, I plan to mount the hvac box so I can trace out the recirc hole in the cab...that way I don't mess it up...lol.

Thanks for that photo Cory.

I know it's not the cleanest but if not needing to add A/C I'd really take a look at using the flex ductwork. With the dealer a/c the cluster bezel vents each have an oval adapter for the hose. The passenger side vents go into a small duct that has an opening in the back for the evaporator.

You wouldn't be able to do vents only so a trade off in function vs effort.

Funny, there was a guy on one of the Facebook Bullnose pages last year talking about AC, and he said that he had never seen one without AC, and had owned 5-6 of them.

I have a 1986 XLT Lariat without A/C!

Well i'm thinking I might make the drive Friday to check out the donor vehicle. :nabble_anim_jump:

I'm excited, I just found and ordered what might be the 2 last NOS nutmeg panels in the world (sort of joking but maybe not!). One is for the slide locks (not what I have) and the other has a crack in it, but otherwise they are beautiful! They gave me a deal too - the shipping from Ohio costs more than what they charged for the panels themselves.

I need to figure how to best patch the slider hole and fix the crack. I'm getting some junkyard wheels blasted and powder coated this week; new tires next week.

Hopefully I can find some odds and ends from the donor, like the nutmeg trim around the windshield, visors, dash with vents if they look to good to pass up, etc. I'm thinking new carpet this spring too.

Now if only there was a jumping Snoopy emoji! :)

Well i'm thinking I might make the drive Friday to check out the donor vehicle. :nabble_anim_jump:

I'm excited, I just found and ordered what might be the 2 last NOS nutmeg panels in the world (sort of joking but maybe not!). One is for the slide locks (not what I have) and the other has a crack in it, but otherwise they are beautiful! They gave me a deal too - the shipping from Ohio costs more than what they charged for the panels themselves.

I need to figure how to best patch the slider hole and fix the crack. I'm getting some junkyard wheels blasted and powder coated this week; new tires next week.

Hopefully I can find some odds and ends from the donor, like the nutmeg trim around the windshield, visors, dash with vents if they look to good to pass up, etc. I'm thinking new carpet this spring too.

Now if only there was a jumping Snoopy emoji! :)

Eddie,

I can keep you in mind but I noticed you're in the deep south - shipping would be expensive i'm sure. I did notice in my searches that several warehouses do have NOS armrests - although I think just the passenger side. They were all in the $30-35 price range.

Eddie,

I can keep you in mind but I noticed you're in the deep south - shipping would be expensive i'm sure. I did notice in my searches that several warehouses do have NOS armrests - although I think just the passenger side. They were all in the $30-35 price range.

Christopher,

Thanks, yes I have found some of probably the same ones that you are referring to and I need the driver side more than anything. My passenger side is still intact and ok but my driver side is cracked to pieces. I thought maybe shipping would not be to bad since it is a pretty small and light item.