Bullnose Forums

How difficult is adding dash vents

delco1946

Morning All,

I located a nutmeg interior 1982 bronco 3 hours away from me - not pristine but I guess i'm tired of being home constantly and am curious to check it out for potentially a multitude of parts. My 1981 dash is now looking pretty good if i do say so myself :nabble_smiley_cool:, but i have the most basic hvac system.

This bronco has the vents in the dash which caught my eye (and looks to be in decent condition). I tried searching the site, but didn't see if anyone has tried to upgrade? I'm not necessarily talking adding A/C, but just adding vents so I can get fresh air on my face (I know adding A/C is a lot of work with adding holes to the firewall which I can not do skill-wise).

Part of me (the preservationist!) thinks it may be better to keep the truck original to its factory accessories. But the other part is like....more is more! lol Has anyone done this?

I'd need to pull the dash shell, I assume I can use my existing dash pad which in in better shape, and then id need to pull all the additional ducting. Anything else that would be specific to the higher end heat system?

I'd also be curious if folks know what the push/pull switch between the radio and instrument cluster does?

Possibly an owner installed manual choke?

I did this on my 81. I pulled a complete 85 F-150 system from the radiator support to the dash and put in my originally non A/C truck. If I recall correctly and this was many years ago now but I believe you will have to put the whole A/C box in as it was completely different and would not have anywhere for the dash vent ducting to connect if you did not. I wish I had documented all of that (Like in my radius arm bushing post on here http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/81-radius-arm-bushing-replacement-tp85133.html) as I do now with pictures and details but that was before all that became the norm and so easily done now days. I do remember having to trim some on the firewall for the A/C box to work correctly. The same dash pad will work. If I remember right I used to access my heater core from under the hood but now is accessed from behind the glove box with the A/C box.

I did this on my 81. I pulled a complete 85 F-150 system from the radiator support to the dash and put in my originally non A/C truck. If I recall correctly and this was many years ago now but I believe you will have to put the whole A/C box in as it was completely different and would not have anywhere for the dash vent ducting to connect if you did not. I wish I had documented all of that (Like in my radius arm bushing post on here http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/81-radius-arm-bushing-replacement-tp85133.html) as I do now with pictures and details but that was before all that became the norm and so easily done now days. I do remember having to trim some on the firewall for the A/C box to work correctly. The same dash pad will work. If I remember right I used to access my heater core from under the hood but now is accessed from behind the glove box with the A/C box.

If the arm rest pads are in good shape I would be interested in them. Mine is also nutmeg interior color.

Take a look here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/hvac-systems.html

Especially at the Integral A/C tab and the Pictures sub-tab.

You'll see the main plenum has a square hole facing the dash that the ducts hook up to.

What about using some round flex ductwork like the dealer a/c used tied somewhere into your current heat-only plenum?

Now if you could find a comfort vent system...

Eddie - so you bolted the a/c main plenum into your truck? Did you have to make the firewall modifications to do that? I know you said trim but I was thinking from other projects that it was more involved.

Eddie - so you bolted the a/c main plenum into your truck? Did you have to make the firewall modifications to do that? I know you said trim but I was thinking from other projects that it was more involved.

Yes I did a complete system core support, dash and everything associated with it down to ever nut bolt and bracket. When ordering parts and pieces I just have to remember to keep in mind this is a 85 model system. Mine would have originally came with the York style compressor had it been equipped with A/C where it now has a FS6 type. I think the plenum box is the same though. I don't remember just how much was involved as it has been awhile for recalling. Seems it was blocking some of the airway passage. Seems like I had to make a couple of different sizeable cuts and make the hole for the A/C wiring harness to pass through which was beside another wire harness down below the box. If I still have and could possibly find the pieces I cut out I will take a picture of them. I usually don't throw stuff away like that for this reason I find myself wanting to go back and refence it for what ever reason.

Did you have to make the firewall modifications to do that? I know you said trim but I was thinking from other projects that it was more involved.

I have this project on my to-do list and even have everything here to do it. It looks like a huge task I think just because of the sheer amount of components and disassembly and assembly required. I've looked at both AC and Non-AC cabs, and they are not much different. I can turn my Non-AC cab into an AC cab in about 5 minutes with a zip-cut disk on the grinder. The biggest thing is that the large 3rd hole (#3) needs to be cut (for recirculation) that isn't present in the Non-AC cab. Then the hole has to be trimmed to fit the heater core tubes through (#2)...currently that is where the heat cable passes through. Other then that, the main hole on the left needs to be trimmed a bit on the bottom. The fresh air hole that is behind the fender is the same on both AC and Non-AC cabs.

AC_firewall.jpg.6dc013c4f58fc1e49e16b6e655d70ed4.jpg

I will probably start this before spring. I am now waiting for my new gasket set to arrive from Detroit Muscle Tech. It was a bit of a hassle for me to get it shipped into Canada...delivery has turned into a couple months. Hoping it arrives in February. Once I have the new gasket set, I plan to mount the hvac box so I can trace out the recirc hole in the cab...that way I don't mess it up...lol.