Bullnose Forums

Aluminum Radiator and Water Pump - Zinc Anode?

ckuske

Since I am in the process of doing a few flushes I figured it was a good time to re-research some of this :nabble_smiley_good:

Most of what I found was on forums but a lot of the Mustang and Corvette owners with aluminum radiators are using and recommending the green. Take it for what it's worth.

Dewitt had this to say:

The key to maximizing the life of an aluminum radiator is not so much the coolant brand as it is the water type. All coolants sold today will protect the aluminum radiators adequately however distilled water must be part of the package.

I ordered the cap with anode today but without time passing, won't be much to report on regarding it.

While not directly related to the topic, I would also mention that those with aluminum radiators (or even without) might want to consider a 90 degree petcock. I installed the one I bought from Amazon this evening and Cory found one on cjponyparts.

Since it's more important to change the coolant regularly with aluminum components, might as well make it easy on you.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not directly related to the topic, I would also mention that those with aluminum radiators (or even without) might want to consider a 90 degree petcock. I installed the one I bought from Amazon this evening and Cory found one on cjponyparts.

Since it's more important to change the coolant regularly with aluminum components, might as well make it easy on you.

Do you like the one from Amazon? I'm a couple of years from changing the coolant, but should go ahead and get that petcock so I'll be ready when the time comes.

Do you like the one from Amazon? I'm a couple of years from changing the coolant, but should go ahead and get that petcock so I'll be ready when the time comes.

So far. Seems well made and the wings are solidly attached without fear of them spinning.

I used Permatex Seal and Lock on it so will give it a few days before filling.

It didn't thread in very far and with it being directional, there's always the fear it will just land wrong but it worked out well in my case.

After dealing with the original last night which was a real pain trying to get the last drop out without letting it just dribble into the core support, I am more than happy with the prospect of this. Now just hoping no leaks.

I've got one of these in my cart for my next order. That way it doesn't plug up your drain.

Thanks for this, I didn’t know about this! Sounds better than replacing the petcock, and it seems like cheap insurance.

This is the radiator I bought, I’m painting the radiator support this week so hopefully I can test for it soon.

https://www.championradiators.com/Ford-F-series-truck-radiator-1980-1984

Thanks for this, I didn’t know about this! Sounds better than replacing the petcock, and it seems like cheap insurance.

This is the radiator I bought, I’m painting the radiator support this week so hopefully I can test for it soon.

https://www.championradiators.com/Ford-F-series-truck-radiator-1980-1984

I bought the big brother to that one, a Champion 4-row. When you get yours check the neck carefully where the cap seals as mine was dinged there and I had to file it out.

And, if you don't replace the petcock make sure to check that it is installed correctly. Mine wasn't tight in the radiator and it leaked. But, those are tapered pipe threads and you can break the radiator if you tighten it too much, so put some sealant on it and snug it up good.

I bought the big brother to that one, a Champion 4-row. When you get yours check the neck carefully where the cap seals as mine was dinged there and I had to file it out.

And, if you don't replace the petcock make sure to check that it is installed correctly. Mine wasn't tight in the radiator and it leaked. But, those are tapered pipe threads and you can break the radiator if you tighten it too much, so put some sealant on it and snug it up good.

Thanks Gary! (And Scott!) for this as well. After all the rust removal and sanding, I’d hate future flushed to drip onto the rad support. Seems like you could hook a hose up to it and drain into a bucket.

I assume the size of the petcock you guys are referring to is 1/4”-18 NPT?

Seems like you could hook a hose up to it and drain into a bucket.

Precisely! I stuck a scrap piece of hose on the one I installed and it has a nice tight fit. Seeing the hose drop straight into the five gallon bucket and knowing you won't have coolant run down your arm while loosening the drain stop anymore or spray all over everything until you get the funnel just right...it's the small things in life :nabble_smiley_beam:

Yes on the size

Seems like you could hook a hose up to it and drain into a bucket.

Precisely! I stuck a scrap piece of hose on the one I installed and it has a nice tight fit. Seeing the hose drop straight into the five gallon bucket and knowing you won't have coolant run down your arm while loosening the drain stop anymore or spray all over everything until you get the funnel just right...it's the small things in life :nabble_smiley_beam:

Yes on the size

I'm sold. I ordered the one from Amazon for $10.49 with free shipping. CJ Pony Parts wants $19 for shipping a $10 part, and that just torques me off.

Since I am in the process of doing a few flushes I figured it was a good time to re-research some of this :nabble_smiley_good:

Most of what I found was on forums but a lot of the Mustang and Corvette owners with aluminum radiators are using and recommending the green. Take it for what it's worth.

Dewitt had this to say:

The key to maximizing the life of an aluminum radiator is not so much the coolant brand as it is the water type. All coolants sold today will protect the aluminum radiators adequately however distilled water must be part of the package.

I ordered the cap with anode today but without time passing, won't be much to report on regarding it.

When I had half my engine apart this past Summer due to a coolant leak at the intake manifold, I did a lot of surfing regarding coolants. What you have posted Scott was the consensus of everything I read including the Dexcool.

Dewitt had this to say:

When I had half my engine apart this past Summer due to a coolant leak at the intake manifold, I did a lot of surfing regarding coolants. What you have posted Scott was the consensus of everything I read including the Dexcool.

This 2008 article entitled GM settles lawsuits over engine coolant problems says:

The lawsuits, first filed in April 2003, alleged that Dex-Cool degraded manifold gaskets and other engine components and sometimes formed a rusty sludge that clogged cooling systems and caused vehicles to overheat.

The article says that GM agreed to pay up to $150,000,000 but said "GM has denied any wrongdoing and said the settlement was aimed at avoiding further costs and saving time".

But apparently Dex-Cool continues to be sold? This article from 2017 shows there were still class action law suits going on and people were trying to get a national one going against GM.

:nabble_anim_confused: