Bullnose Forums

Rubber Stainless Steel P Clamps with larger than 6mm or 1/4 mounting hole

kramttocs

• 1 month later...

Keep us informed as to how it works as many of us have similar problems.

Got around to looking at this today. Wanted to create something simple using just what I had in the shop before I did anything real involved.

Took some nail strap, cut it in pieces, bolted them together, and drilled out one hole pair to the desired final diameter.

The photos are of the 3/8 one but created a couple for the other sizes as well. 3/8 is the largest I'll ever use with this clamp style.

After centering the clamp using the bushings, I placed some small c clamps on either side to really hold it in place and then stuck it in the vice. Normal drill bits still grabbed but step/uni bits worked without issue. Drilled from both sides.

As discussed earlier, a much nicer jug could be made where each side would have a cutout just deep enough for the two ends of the clamp to sit in. That way you aren't just relying on the jig clamping pressure to prevent spinning.

No more time than it took to make this super simple jig and since it works, this is probably good enough for my needs but for those with a mill, it'd be neat to see something really nice. Picturing a set of plates that have a bolt, slot/hole for size A, bolt, slot/hole for size B, etc.

IMG_20210314_174646.thumb.jpg.bbe705a5e00200a13b097faa2da9c5db.jpgIMG_20210314_174705.thumb.jpg.e42ed2fedbe7a3a05d698c41cd9934de.jpgIMG_20210314_175928.thumb.jpg.7c1637f665c9b19e687d7cd277781b2c.jpgIMG_20210314_180006.thumb.jpg.5f059924ef894433d29361f2dbc3b917.jpg

Got around to looking at this today. Wanted to create something simple using just what I had in the shop before I did anything real involved.

Took some nail strap, cut it in pieces, bolted them together, and drilled out one hole pair to the desired final diameter.

The photos are of the 3/8 one but created a couple for the other sizes as well. 3/8 is the largest I'll ever use with this clamp style.

After centering the clamp using the bushings, I placed some small c clamps on either side to really hold it in place and then stuck it in the vice. Normal drill bits still grabbed but step/uni bits worked without issue. Drilled from both sides.

As discussed earlier, a much nicer jug could be made where each side would have a cutout just deep enough for the two ends of the clamp to sit in. That way you aren't just relying on the jig clamping pressure to prevent spinning.

No more time than it took to make this super simple jig and since it works, this is probably good enough for my needs but for those with a mill, it'd be neat to see something really nice. Picturing a set of plates that have a bolt, slot/hole for size A, bolt, slot/hole for size B, etc.

That's cool, Scott. Well done.

But I can envision what you are suggesting - a block with a slot the size of the strap, a plate to go on top, and a hole the size of the finished/to-be hole. Plus a bushing to center the strap's smaller hole in the bigger hole. Clamp all that in the vise and drill away.

Or, put bolt holes in it so it can be clamped that way and then put the thing in the mill's vise to be able to drill more cleanly.

That's cool, Scott. Well done.

But I can envision what you are suggesting - a block with a slot the size of the strap, a plate to go on top, and a hole the size of the finished/to-be hole. Plus a bushing to center the strap's smaller hole in the bigger hole. Clamp all that in the vise and drill away.

Or, put bolt holes in it so it can be clamped that way and then put the thing in the mill's vise to be able to drill more cleanly.

Yep, exactly. :nabble_smiley_good: